share usb harddrive to kvm

ressel

Mar 7, 2010
Hello,

Is there a possible way to share a harddrive to a Windows KVM ?
i got a usb harddrive connected to my proxmox server, is it possible to see it from my windows kvm so that i can read/write files to this disc?

I have tried share it with hostusb direct, but the windows machine gives me a bsod.

Hello,

Is there a possible way to share a harddrive to a Windows KVM ?
i got a usb harddrive connected to my proxmox server, is it possible to see it from my windows kvm so that i can read/write files to this disc?

I have tried share it with hostusb direct, but the windows machine gives me a bsod.
Hi,
what's about
ide1: /dev/sdc
or similiar. Doesn't work this?

Udo

Hi Udo
I have a USB 3.0 device connected to the Proxmox host
I added ide1: /dev/sdc to the VM config file as suggested and could see the drive in Windows 2003.
I even managed to get USB 3.0 speeds out of it which which is great.
However, as it is a USB drive I'd like to use it in Windows as a removable drive.
When I go into the properties for the USB drive 'Optimize for quick removal' is 'greyed' out. See attached image.
Is there another way I can edit the vm config file so that the drive is detected by Windows as a removable drive?Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 5.36.02 pm.png

I found a workaround and note that I am running Proxmox VE 3.2
Amended vm config file to virtio1: /dev/sdc
Could then 'Optimize for quick removal'.
After safely ejecting drive in Windows, the Windows VM would continue to run.
However, if VM is shutdown there is a proxmox error on VM start up if USB drive is disconnected.
As I am only needing to do this on occasions, for now I will just # the config entry and only use it when I need to connect the USB drive to the VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!