Physical CentOS server virtualization

PFM

Dec 13, 2010
Hello,

actually I own a dedicated server with CentOS 5.2 and Plesk 10.0.1.

I would like to virtualize my actual own server in a Proxmox VM environment.

Is it possible to do?

Is there a wiki or a guide that I can follow to do it, please?

I need to make an image of my actual server partition and to restore it in my new VM... But I don't know if it can be done easily and how.

I hope you can help me.

Many thanks.
Best Regards

PFM

Hello Tom,

thanks for your quick reply.

I have no physical access to my own dedicated server and I have only a FTP Backup where I can put images.

Is there a trick to virtualize it, please?

Thanks
Best Regards
PFM

nothing special. just do a backup of all your data, then setup Proxmox VE and a and Centos Guest and restore all back.

just do a backup of all your data

I would like to do it, but I don't know how I can do this task.... I have no physical access to my dedicated server and I don't know how I can perform a full bare-metal backup of it (including all partitions) without having the need to restart it using a LiveCD... But I can't do it, because I haven't a KVM interface...

So, which software can I use to take a image of my remote server, please?

I need a software that can put taken image to FTP....

I read about Ghost4Linux, but it needs to boot from CD.... and I can't use it... :(

Please help!

Best Regards
PFM

without a second server its always a big risk as you cannot test the migration. do you have a second one for the time of migration?

Hello Shukko,

many thanks for your very important suggestions!!!

Tom, I just rented a second server (Atom 510 1.6ghz, 250gb, 10mbit) and I will try Shukko suggestions!

Thanks... I hope to be able to find a solution soon!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!