Boot Failed after VMware VM's conversion to Proxmox VE

sbonneau

Dec 11, 2010
Hello,
Very new and junior to proxmox , i have followed the instruction for importing vmdk file to proxmox as described in this thread
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#VMware_to_Proxmox_VE_.28KVM.29

Thus my VM is not booting with message "Hardware :No bootable disk"

Changing the status of this vmdk file as pre-allocated file with vmware-vdiskmanager suppose : 1) quit proxmox environnement and replugg vmware server disk
2) A long time waiting the change
Is there another issue to avoid doing many time-cost test ?

Thanks to all, proxmox seems to be best performer VE i've seen now

pls provide some information.

source VM (VMware - version=?
OS

did you set the new disk as boot disk (see Option on the Proxmox VE gui).

and think of using the clonezilla way, for me this was the fastest way also for VMware guests.

here is more details :
All Virtual Machine were created with VMWARE Workstation 7.1 (ESX-server installation has failed due to motherboard TYAN S8212 or CPU's AMD opteron 2350)

Concerning th VM importation test's : Guest os is Win2008R1 with 1 vmdk file of 10 Gb.

What i have done is described below :
1] Removed VMware tools from the guest VM with windows pannel configuration. rebooted the vm
2) Enabled IDE by Started the Windows virtual machine on VMware and execute the mergeide.reg .
3) Made sure Atapi.sys, Intelide.sys, Pciide.sys, and Pciidex.sys are in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder.
4) shutdowned the VM
5) As my vmdk disk file was already configurad as a sigle growable file, i have not converted it.
6) i Created a new KVM VM on Proxmox VE web interface without starting it
7) i copied the myvmdk-pve.vmdk to your Proxmox VE server into the following dir: /var/lib/vz/images/VMID (I used WinSCP as I worked on a Windows desktop)
8) i Changed the win2003-pve.vmdk file to qemu format

As i posted, in proxmox my VS boot failed.
so i tried to restart the entire process and converting my vmdk disk file into a "preallocated virtual disk" with the command-line:
vmware-vdiskmanager -r whatever.vmdk -t 2 whatever-pve.vmdk

after several hours of conversion, i got a message "Failed in conversion at 72%" ????
No more information in vmware log file's or windows system log's.

If someone can help as it can concern anks to many people who want to test or move on PROXMOX with Vmware VM's to import ..
Thanks to Tom also..
Stephane

Hi,
whats about Toms suggestion? Boot in vmware the VM with a live-cd and copy the disk-content via network (dd, or clonezilla?).

If the vmware tools itselfs fail to read the own format, perhaps you have some trouble to get all data??

Udo

hello,
here is the results of different tests :

1) Tom suggestion's : to set the new disk as bootable disk : i can't see in the option of proxmox VE gui where can we set it, but the first boot is hdd ide 0:0
2) i finally managed to convert my vmdk file with vmware vdisk-manager to 2 other format:
myvdisk-t0-pve-flat.vmdk wich is the single growable file, and myvdisk-t2-pve.vmdk wich is the pre-allocated disk file

thus with the first one , the qemu conversion failed with the message "qemu-img: Could not open 'myvdisk-t0-pve-flat.vmdk'

With the second one : it seems to boot , but it still working and very longly ...maybe the first time..

hello,
here is the results of different tests :

1) Tom suggestion's : to set the new disk as bootable disk : i can't see in the option of proxmox VE gui where can we set it, but the first boot is hdd ide 0:0

see "Virtual Machine Configuration/Options"

2) i finally managed to convert my vmdk file with vmware vdisk-manager to 2 other format:
myvdisk-t0-pve-flat.vmdk wich is the single growable file, and myvdisk-t2-pve.vmdk wich is the pre-allocated disk file

thus with the first one , the qemu conversion failed with the message "qemu-img: Could not open 'myvdisk-t0-pve-flat.vmdk'

With the second one : it seems to boot , but it still working and very longly ...maybe the first time..

the first time drivers got installed.

to check your installations, post the output of 'pveversion -v'

Hello, finally here are the results of importing VMWARE Virtual Machine's into Proxmox VE :
I have got 4 VPS created in proxmox to import a unique original VM with different format of vdisk file :

1) myvdisk-t2-pve.vmdk
2) myvdisk-t0-pve-flat.vmdk
3) myvdisk-t2-pve.qcow2

Those 3 VPS are booting but still on Windows 2003 Server booting page for 12H !

4) myvdisk-t0-pve.qcow2 failed on boot with the message "Hardware :No bootable disk"

(sorry tom, I wached my eyes twice and i can't see the bootable activation option in the menu of Virtual Machine Configuration/Options. I just can set "boot" if i want to boot automatically the VPS with host booting", i confirm the HDD IDE 0:0 in booting device)

Does someone get such difficult experinece to import 2003server VMWARE VM's to Proxmox ?
Otherwise , i f i don't find any solution to import, i'll have to create normally VPS with classical ISO file, but that suppose configuring and installing all applications the server again..

In fact, My VMWARE VM's are application's server, all datas are stored in a SAN...

Hi sbonneau,

Do you have a Snapshots in your vmware vm?
If yes remove all snapshots and than copy the vmdk.

Regards

Hi, i have the same work in the last month, i use clonezilla to get a image from my VM in Vmware, (the VM is a Linux Server), after i create an VM in proxmox and boot with clonezilla to restore the image that i got, perhaps this procedure can help you

Hello,

I have tried again to boot one VPS with qcow2 vdisk froh a converted vmdk VM vdisk's. After 15h, it's still in the boot sequence state with "windows 2003 server" booting message..
I'll try with clonezilla to have the same result than importing Vm from VMWARE and i'll post the results...

stephane

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!