Install Proxmox on SSD

mlanner

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Hi,

I'm considering building a(nother) Proxmox server and installing Proxmox on a SATA Disk on Module (DOM). I know this will essentially limit me to only run KVM, but that's fine for my purposes with this installation. Plus, I'd like to try out the "bleeding edge" KSM features anyway.

Now, how large of a DOM/SSD drive would you recommend for the Proxmox installation? When checking on a newly built system with no VMs configured, it looks to me as if a new install would only take just over 1GB. Therefore, I'd assume I would be pretty safe getting a 2GB or 4GB DOM.

My plan is to run virtual machines off of RAID storage internal to the server and/or running them over iSCSI or NFS.

Any comments, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

if you got place to mount somewhere a SSD drive go for it. SATA DOMS are very small and slow.
also make yourself familiar with the planned backup strategy, if you want LVM snapshots you need snapshot space.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!