Recommendation for Proxmox server clocksource when using kernel 2.6.18-4-pve

P

prf

Hi,
I was wondering whether there is a recommendation for the choice of clocksource for Proxmox servers?

I am using a SuperMicro X8DTU-F motherboard with dual Intel 5504 quad core processors and 24GB RAM.

I have just upgraded to Proxmox 1.7 and am using kernel 2.6.18-4-pve. I checked "cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource" and found that jiffies is the only source available. The current_clocksource is set (unsurprisingly) to jiffies.

I am used to seeing acpi_pm, hpet or tsc clocksource options in newer kernels.

Is this the recommended value? Does it make any difference, either to the host or to timing sensitive virtual guests?

I was wondering whether kernel 2.6.18-4-pve is built with hpet support and can it be enabled at boot time?

Regards

Paul

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!