Host crash

dcrobinson

Dec 5, 2010
Malvern, UK
www.36arn.co.uk
Every 3 or 4 days my PVE host machine will spontaneously reboot. Nothing in /var/log, and there's no set pattern as far as I can tell. It could be hardware related, but it's standard Intel, no remote storage, and the system is on a UPS. There are two OpenVZ and one KVM VMs, lightly loaded.

I'm guessing this is a kernel panic of some kind. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to try to track down the cause of this problem?

I am running PVE 1.7 (2.6.32-4-pve), but the problem was also present with 1.6.

Thanks.
Dave Robinson, UK

Thanks for your suggestions. I've run memtest and 3 passes have been completely clean. I've also swapped the PSU (for a bigger one). The system spontaneously rebooted after about 40 minutes with a different PSU :-(

I've now tried increasing the memory voltage. The system is using Kingston LoVo @ 1.25V, so I've tried increasing it to 1.35V to see if that makes any difference.

I'll let you know what happens.

It's been running for six days now without any problems. So maybe it was indeed the memory voltage (which I've increased from 1.25 to 1.35 volts), or maybe I disturbed something else when I open the case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!