The future of 2.6.32 kernel line

meto

Apr 6, 2010
Hi,

I'd like to ask/propose that .32 kernel was based on RHEL6. Why? I think the best reason seconding that idea is RHEL5. It's very reliable and stable which puts RHEL6 on better position than Lenny's .32. Secondly RHEL6 seams to be the next stable kernel for OVZ.

The problem I see is that RHEL6 has some new features (vswap instead od UBC) which changes containers management, what should be somehow coped by Proxmox (or vzctl is backward compatible?). We already have RAM and SWAP in Proxmox, not bust RAM, so it should be quite easy.

Any others pros or cons?

as long as there is no stable OpenVZ for RHEL6 I see no big benefit but yes, we also monitor all these options.

And there is no stable OpenVZ for .32 vanilla. We're talking about near future, good to know that you take such option into consideration.

OpenVZ is in Squeeze and Squeeze is scheduled to be stable soon. So its the best option for now.

Do you have any idea when OpenVZ team will have a stable version for RHEL6 - did you ask them? if not, do it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!