TG3 driver update

Nov 12, 2010
HI guys,

Is there any chance of getting an updated tg3 network driver included in the build, or let me know how I can do that myself?

I have an issue where it is taking 20 or 30 ping timeouts to recover from restarting network services. However our openfiler box on takes 2 pings to respond after restarting network services.

According to broadcom the 3.110 driver should already be included in 2.26 kernels but when i look at the driver loaded it says it is 3.102.

I have built a development environment here and built the 3.110 driver, and tried installing it on our prod box by copying the files over to the same location and running

rmmod tg3.ko; modprobe tg3 (successful)
and
insmod tg3.ko; modprobe tg3 (fails) it keeps saying 1 file exists

What am i doing wrong here?

Is there any chance you guys could build this in your environment or add it into the kernel for me? I am running 2.6.32-4-pve kernel

The source can be downloaded from here:

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_download/570x/linux-3.110g.zip

Thanks in advance :)
MM

Nevermind i see that the 2.6.35-8 kernel has the latest driver however we are still having the same problem

It takes forever to recover from restarting the network service

Is there anything you can recommend to change this behaviour?

The openfiler and proxmox are connected to the same cisco 3750 switch with exactly the same settings on the ports - however it takes about 1 minute for the proxmox server to recover and about 10 seconds for openfiler

Openfiler ping stats with network service restart

64 bytes from 172.15.241.29: icmp_seq=5 ttl=62 time=1 ms
64 bytes from 172.15.241.29: icmp_seq=6 ttl=62 time=1 ms
64 bytes from 172.15.241.29: icmp_seq=18 ttl=62 time=1 ms
64 bytes from 172.15.241.29: icmp_seq=19 ttl=62 time=1 ms

Proxmox ping stats with network service restart

64 bytes from 172.15.241.20: icmp_seq=6 ttl=62 time=1 ms
64 bytes from 172.15.241.20: icmp_seq=7 ttl=62 time=1 ms
64 bytes from 172.15.241.20: icmp_seq=137 ttl=62 time=1 ms
64 bytes from 172.15.241.20: icmp_seq=138 ttl=62 time=1 ms

Last edited:
Hi,
proxmox do more at network restart - unbind devices from bridges, remove bridges, restart interfaces, create bridges, bint devices to bridges...
i would say, thats normal that proxmox need more time like openfiler.

The important question for me is: why you need network-restarts???

Udo

It shouldn't take that long. We previously had these servers connected to a 3750, but moved them to a cisco 3550 switch and it has only started doing this since being moved to the 3550.

Previously it would take roughly the same time to do a network restart as openfiler. now it is taking 1 to 2 minutes to recover.

The need to do network restarts are not common and infrequent however having to wait 1 to 2 minutes is no right

It shouldn't take that long. We previously had these servers connected to a 3750, but moved them to a cisco 3550 switch and it has only started doing this since being moved to the 3550.

Previously it would take roughly the same time to do a network restart as openfiler. now it is taking 1 to 2 minutes to recover.

The need to do network restarts are not common and infrequent however having to wait 1 to 2 minutes is no right
Hi,
right - 2 min are to long. Perhaps something wrong with the autonegiotation of the switch. I don't know cisco-switches, but sometimes it's help to switch off some "features" (flowcontrol) of the switchport.

Udo

Last edited:
Flowcontrol isn't on by default, and I have set the port speed and duplex to rule out auto negotiation as well but nothing i do seems to work....

I will keep playing with it and if I find a fix i'll post it here or if anyone has some suggestions then please post them in here

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!