Ubuntu 10.04 guests get incorrect time when restarted

P

prf

Hi
I have observed a strange kernel time issue for 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS guests on my Proxmox server. I have not had the opportunity to try 32-bit guests or other Linux distributions.

I noticed that when a guest is in the shutdown state then started up using either the Proxmox GUI or cli - qm start <vmid>, the hardware clock in the guest shows the correct time, including any daylight savings offset.

However, if I then do a restart on the guest using "shutdown -r now", when the guest boots, the hardware clock is exactly one hour in the future. This is reproducible. ie. If I shutdown the guest using "shutdown -h now" then start it up, the hardware clock is correct again.

I have confirmed the virtual server hardware clock and BIOS is set to UTC and the guest is set the same. The correct timezone is also set in both the Proxmox virtual server and guests.

cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource shows kvm-clock is being used in the guests.

The virtual server and the guests are all running ntpd and so the guest will eventually have the time adjusted back by one
hour but file and log timestamps will be incorrect in the meantime.

I have tried setting the option Real Time Clock = UTC in the Proxmox configuration options for the Ubuntu guests and the problem still exists.

I have not observed any significant time drift for the Ubuntu guests.

I do not see this problem with Windows 2008 R2 guests (which I believe have Windows sets the clock to localtime by default).

I was using Proxmox 1.6 (kernel 2.6.18-4 pve) and have just updated to Proxmox 1.7 (2.6.18-4-pve)

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions for what might be wrong?

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!