P2V questions

LonelyWolf

Dec 2, 2010
SAS Raid controller question

First of all Thanks and excuse me for my english not so good.

I'm new to proxmox VE and i haven't installed yet (i'm waitin' the new server, hope it will arrive in 10 days) but i need additional information about the sas raid controller.
the server is equipped with this:
SAS RAID PCI Card 6Gb/s. 4 Internal ports, PCI-E 2.0 x8, RAID 0/1/10/5 (LSI 9240-4i with mSAS-mSAS cable)

I found that the kernel 2.6.32 supports this controller so proxmoxVE 1.7, am i right?
If i'm wrong, can i use the driver from lsi for debian 5.0.5 (or 5.0.4) ?

The server is this: Gateway GT150 F1 equipped with:

• 2 x intel xeon E5506
  • 12GB ram ECC
  • lsi 9042-4i sas raid
  • 4x 146GB SAS 15K rpm

That's all, i'm reading anything can find about p2v and proxmox so i hope to be on the right way.

Thanks again

Edit:
changed title, i've started the post for questions that i didn't post.

Last edited:
Re: SAS Raid controller question

if the controller works on Debian Squeeze it will work on our kernel, too. we have no such controller here but I assume there will be no problems with LSI.

P2V: what OS boxes do you need to migrate?

Thanks for ur answer.

I'll need to migrate a debian etch server but for this i can use a template, only web/mail/file services needed.

The real p2v migration is a centos 5.2 32bit that runs an application really hard to reinstall (due to a lot of old dependencies and more), so i want to "clone" the real server to a kvm.

I think i'll try the "clonezilla way" as described in the wiki, hdd in the server are in raid controlled by hardware so the system use it as a simple /dev/sda:
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 17782 142729492+ 8e Linux LVM

Also i've found a lot of ways on internet about p2v but i can take it quite.
Thanks

Thanks for ur answer.

I'll need to migrate a debian etch server but for this i can use a template, only web/mail/file services needed.

I suggest you move straight to Squeeze, if possible.

yes, I would also suggest the clonezilla way. fast and wizard based. if both boxes are in the same LAN (gbit) you can expect 500 to 1000 mb per minute transfer speed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!