what is best options proxmox

sicute

Oct 25, 2010
www.sharenupload.com
hi ..

i try using kvm in proxmox i need advice about :
1. image format ( what should i choice ? )
- QCOW2
- RAW
- VMDK
2.disk type ?
- IDE
- SCSI
- virtio

my concern is :
- easy to migrate to another cluster best option online
- perfomance fro write and read real production server (web server , mail server , proxy etc )
- easy to backup and compatibe move to another virtual such as vmware, virtualbox etc
- some compare report

ok that is before and after many thanks

hi ..

- QCOW2
- RAW
- VMDK

raw, and consider using block devices directly (with LVM).

2.disk type ?
- IDE
- SCSI
- virtio

virtio or IDE, for Linux virtio.

my concern is :

online migration is only possible inside the same cluster - means from node to node. you need shared storage or DRBD for this.

- perfomance fro write and read real production server (web server , mail server , proxy etc )
- easy to backup and compatibe move to another virtual such as vmware, virtualbox etc
- some compare report

these questions are far to general - read the forum and wiki about recommendations.

hi ..

- QCOW2
- RAW
- VMDK
2.disk type ?
- IDE
- SCSI
- virtio

my concern is :
- some compare report

I just asked (almost) this same question about 10 days ago (CLICK HERE).

The general consensus was:

1. KVM (instead of OpenVZ)
2. RAW (instead of QCOW2, or VMDK)
3. Virtio (instead of IDE, or SCSI)
4. LVM (instead of no LVM)

I started making a spreadsheet of testing under the various configurations and got frustrated 1/2 way thru. ;) and I deferred to the expert knowledge of others. The above assumes a large enough budget to purchase machines capable of handling the task at hand. You will chew up more memory and disk space with KVM vs. OpenVZ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!