Proxmox 1.7 Windows VIRTIO BSOD

BitRausch

Renowned Member
Mar 16, 2009
Muenster
Hi @all,

I just updated to the latest release 1.7. After a reboot all my Windows VM show me a BSOD.
My Windows VM (SBS 2008, Windows 7 x32 and Windows 7 x64) where all running with VIRTIO devices without a problem before. But when I switch the HDD back to IDE the VM will start normaly.
Is there a problem with VIRTIO drivers and the latest version ? (I could not find anything...) or is it just on my system ?

pveversion -v
Code:
pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.35-1-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.6-7
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-28
pve-kernel-2.6.35-1-pve: 2.6.35-7
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-9
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4
kind regards

I got this sometimes with old virtio drivers. can you try with the latest?

That did the trick!!
Apparently I was still using the older version of the drivers. :(
Upgrading the drivers and switching back to VIRTIO device and everything is working again.
Thank u very much Tom!!

Great, thanks for testing.

Two recommendations for you:

disk setup:
try using cache=none for you disks (see /etc/qemu-server/VMID.conf)
e.g. "virtio0: local:126/vm-126-disk-1.raw,cache=none"

tune your network, try this.

Excellent Tom!
Will try it tonight. I can spend some quality time with my test server without getting disturbed by anybody... ;-)
Thank you very much!

I appreciate your testing, thanks!

I made a lot of tricks to boot my Windows systems (which are using virtio block device) after upgrading to proxmox-pve 1.7.
Just only one of them managed to boot with cache=none, some of them I managed to boot with changing just only boot device to IDE and used another device to upgrade virtio driver. But some of machine went to BSOD even if I add not boot virtio device. Just removing virtio driver from HKLM/CurrentControlSet/Services helped me to start these one. And, yes, all systems works again :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!