Kvm

depends. pls describe more detailed what you wanna do (what OS do you run? what type of KVM disks do you use)

Hi!
This is very interesting for me, too.
We need to resize some of our virtual disks as well.
i have 2 windows 2008 r2 servers running in a vm and all their virtual disk in a newly created lvm group (created with the proxmox gui) on a second RAID.

Other strange thing i found is, that i can't actually seem to reach the files.
I can only see /dev/storage_group_1/vm-101-disk-1 -> /dev/mapper/big_storage_group-vm--101--disk--1 for example.
Don't know if that's wrong or totally right and if it makes any difference for resizing.

Thank you and the original poster for this thread and the answers to come.

Last edited:
Hi!
This is very interesting for me, too.
We need to resize some of our virtual disks as well.
i have 2 windows 2008 r2 servers running in a vm and all their virtual disk in a newly created lvm group (created with the proxmox gui) on a second RAID.

Other strange thing i found is, that i can't actually seem to reach the files.
I can only see /dev/storage_group_1/vm-101-disk-1 -> /dev/mapper/big_storage_group-vm--101--disk--1 for example.
Don't know if that's wrong or totally right and if it makes any difference for resizing.

Thank you and the original poster for this thread and the answers to come.
Hi,
if you use lvm-storage your VM-disks are not on a "normal" filesystem. Use following commands and you see where your disk are:
Code:
pvdisplay
vgdisplay
lvdisplay

man lvm
lvextend --help
after extending the disk, you must resize the partition/filesystem - there are live-cds which do the job.

Udo

ah, i see, so this is actually normal behaviour...
Good to know!

For the resize:
do i need to start from a live-cd containing (e.g.) gparted or can't i just install gparted on my proxmox-host, stop the vms and resize the partitions in the lvm on the running system?

thanks again
Sascha

first, you need to extend the physical disks like Udo describes (lvextend).

now, just start the windows box and extend the partition via the windows storage manager (since Vista its possible to extend partitions inside windows). if you run older windows boxes (e.g. win2003 of XP) you need to extend the partitions with a live cd (e.g. with gparted)

hi!
Set PVE, has created a virtual machine KVM disk 10 GB. Place finish, and would increase the size of the disk. How is this possible?

such posting are considered as unfriendly and could lead to a forum ban.

as far as I can see the solution is already posted - whats unclear?

first, you need to extend the physical disks like Udo describes (lvextend).

now, just start the windows box and extend the partition via the windows storage manager (since Vista its possible to extend partitions inside windows). if you run older windows boxes (e.g. win2003 of XP) you need to extend the partitions with a live cd (e.g. with gparted)

For older windows (XP, 2003 etc) I've used EASEUS Partition Manager - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm - no need for booting from live cd, very quick installer. Does the job in 5 minutes.

Regards,
Chris.

Sorry!
I run the place on the virtual hard drive, not on the physical
Sorry,
I don't understand you! You mean, you want to extend the VM-diskspace which are on the local storage (var/lib/vz/images/VMID/)?
Or the images which are on lvm-storage (use lvextend)?
Or do you have extended the file but the client-os don't see more space (gparted...)?

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!