VMs do not reboot

nicolasdiogo

Mar 16, 2010
hello,

i have noticed a strange behaviour with my PVE installation.

here is the version my this PVE:
Code:
# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.6-5 (pve-manager/1.6/5261)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.6-25
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-25
qemu-server: 1.1-22
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-14
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-8
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4
i use ubuntu server VMs and everytime i try rebooting the by issuing (inside the VM)
Code:
reboot
OR

Code:
shutdown -r now
the VM shuts down but does not come back on-line.

has anyone else experience this?

thanks,

Nicolas

we have this also on Debian Squeeze containers.

do it from host (gui or cli).

I'm having a similar problem, or maybe it's the same, I'm not sure. In any case, one OpenVZ (the only OpenVZ instance I have) won't reboot or shut down, no matter how I try to shut it down, from console (VNC or SSH), from Proxmox CLI, or from Proxmox GUI.

I also started a separate thread, http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/6172-OpenVZ-machine-not-shutting-down, on my specific issue, which may or may not be the same as the issue outlined in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks lastguru. I've had that problem too from time to time with OpenVZ VMs, but I don't think it's the same issue. In the thread you posted, the machine "properly" shuts down, but it's left in a mounted stage, but doesn't reboot. In my case, the machine simply doesn't shutdown/reboot at all, it just hangs and never comes back until I kill it by forcefully rebooting my Proxmox host. I could be wrong, and maybe it all stems from the same problem, but in terms of how the problem manifests itself, it appears to be different.

As for the VM, it completely freezes and I can't get to it at all. I don't know how to check it from within the Proxmox host. However, since it's an OpenVZ guest I would assume I can, though. If so, do you happen to know and can provide me the command?

@mlanner

try doing something like that to list all processes within a container (given that 201 is the ID if the container):

vzps axuf -E 201

You can also figure out which part of your process tree belongs to a particular container by listing all init processes (ps -A | grep init) and then checking which init belongs to which container by running vzpid.

I guess the problem is related to dependency based sysv init. For debian squeeze, you can disable that with

# apt-get install file-rc

Does that fix the problem?

@dietmar - I assume the file-rc needs to be installed on the Proxmox host, not in the guest?

@lastguru - Thanks, those are good commands to know.

file-rc can be installed in the Squeeze container, not on the Proxmox VE host.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!