Windows XP 0x7B

C

cirroz

I have Xen VM with Windows XP SP3.
I can't migrate it to PVE - 0x7B error always appears.
I deleted Intel ATA Controller driver and installed Standart ATA Controller.
I merged reg file with registry, checked sys files in System32\Drivers directory and nothing changed - same BSOD error.
The device manager shows me the hdd device as Xen SCSI Drive. May be it's the cause of the error. But I don't know how to change it.
I tried both IDE and Virtio HDD types.
What I have to do to migrate from Xen?

Today I won!
No need to merge any registry files.
Just uninstall ALL Xen devices as you can, update IDE driver to Standart IDE Dual Controller, and shut Windows down.
On PVE VM add IDE drive and connect it to iSCSI or use cloning soft.
Everything works.

A general rule of thumb: try adding an ide drive in the VM and install the drivers this way. Also, uninstall any previous drivers (xen or similar).

If that doesn't work, perhaps a repair-install on top of XP will update your drivers (just have a copy of your XP in case you mess it up).

I fixed it.

First - boot in Xen environment and update IDE controller driver to Standard Dual Channel IDE Controller.
Shutdown it.
In Proxmox VE add any VIRTIO HDD, add iso with virtio-drivers.
Boot from IDE drive in Safe Mode.
Install VIRTIO VBD Drivers.
Disable Standard Dual Channel IDE Controller in Device Manager.
Boot in Normal Mode.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!