How can I force an ethernet interface to 10bt full duplex?

rugby

Oct 24, 2009
I'm trying to setup a PFSense KVM as my router, but my datacenter forces all connections to 10bt full duplex. I've tried manually setting the speed inside PFSense itself, but it keeps defaulting to 1000bt which is causing a lot of traffic issues.

Is there a way I can set vmbr1 to 10bt full duplex instead? Thanks.

Under vmbr0 add the following line if you only have 1 physical NIC then remove eth1:

up mii-tool -F 10baseT-FD eth0 eth1

run /etc/init.d/networking restart and you should see by running mii-tool without options that both are now set to 10mbps Full Duplex

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=249&

Ethtool isn't installed on proxmox by default but mii-tool is and you can use that to set the speed/duplex.

Thanks for the reply, I have the WAN interface bonded to vmbr1 and vmbr0 as the LAN. Can I set one to 10bt full and have the other run at 1000bt?

yes so just do the one for the 10mbps full duplex only. I assume the WAN is the 10mbps interface and is bridging eth1, so you would put this:

So at the end of vmbr1

up mii-tool -F 10baseT-FD eth1 (if eth0 is bridged to vmbr1 then put eth0 instead)

You don't need to do the 1000mbps interface unless you are having auto negotiation issues and it is ending up half duplex instead of full.

If it is then at the end of vmbr0:

up mii-tool -F 1000baseTx-FD eth0 (or if eth1 is bridged to vmbr0 then put eth1 instead)

I did what you said here:

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports eth1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
up mii-tool -F 10baseT-FD eth1

And I still get this:

pm01:~# mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-FD flow-control, link ok
eth1: no autonegotiation, 10baseT-HD, link ok

You can run this tool on the cli

So just try it

mii-tool -F 10baseT-FD eth1
mii-tool

If it's still half duplex then contact your hosting company and ask them to force their link for your WAN to 10mbps Full Duplex and recheck this

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!