Proxmox on ssd

elkondor

Renowned Member
Jan 20, 2010
Italy
www.opensupport.it
Base system on Proxmox Kvm/openvz on SSD (similar to:http://www.eprice.it/SSD/3-12043/0_0_0_0_0_0_0/0/ or http://www.eprice.it/SSD-KINGSTON/s-3094904) and vm machine in /var/lib/vz on normal disk (lvm+software raid).
is possible or the performance of the base virtaulizzation system decrease or are bad??
with this method the life of ssd in too long because the only write operation is write log of server and it is possible use software raid on virtual machine
is possible this? SSD is supported?

ext3 is not optimal for ssd, so maybe you should go for ext4 (custom install). and for the data, lvm is fine but software is not supported from us but seems to work for most.

I really like the new Intel SSD´s, with integrated cache protection - coming soon to mainstream market, boosting reliability, hopefully.

Generally speaking, you can convert ext3 partition to ext4 but then you do not have all features. better is a new one - but I just read that, I have no technical details - just ask this on their lists.

As we have also OpenVZ on Proxmox VE, ext3 is still the one to go if you want to use OpenVZ - there are still some issues reported if you run OpenVZ on a ext4.

The machine isn't a server hardware but a Big-power home PC, when i try to reduce power consumption.
my idea is to install proxmox virtualizer on 1 SSD disk and vm machine on other 2 disk configuration lvm+software raid1 mountin /var/lib/vz
SSD is affidable (i think...) and for base system don't need too space.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!