Can someone instal proxmox on my actual centos server?

trans-world

Nov 25, 2010
Can someone instal proxmox on my actual centos server?
Proxmox comes usually installed with debian by hosting company but I would like to use proxmox with centos so could someone instal and configure it for me?
Regards.

stupid question maybe?
why don't you use a Proxmox ISO or install a Debian distrib?

I am not a IT literate, so this is not a stupid question as you are saying.
I have the server but my hosting company does not provide software support other then debian/proxmox when you rent a new server not from my actual server.
Did I answer your question as far as stupidity is concerned?

as you need a re-installation (removing all data) it would be necessary to do have access to the server - we can do it remote it your server is connected to a full featured remote KVM (Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor) with CD-Rom support.

send an email to office@proxmox.com, include as many details as possible about the job and you will get a quote.

If it is too expensive I guess it would save time and money by leasing a new server and instal Proxmox ISO and migrate my actual server to the new one.
Thanks

I also had another question, what is the difference between centos and debian as far as proxmox usage is concerned, I was usualy said that centos is the best for firtualisation hosting as it is a redhat open source os, can someone enlight me, thanks

I also had another question, what is the difference between centos and debian as far as proxmox usage is concerned, I was usualy said that centos is the best for firtualisation hosting as it is a redhat open source os, can someone enlight me, thanks

a good start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

short story:
there are basically two major distributions.

Redhat and Redhat based/similar (Centos, Fedora, ....)
Debian and Debian based/similar (Ubuntu, ...)

I assume these two groups got far more than 50 % of all Linux systems. Redhat based systems are bigger in US, Debian is bigger in Europe. As there is no company behind Debian its often not counted in statistics from commercial vendors.

Proxmox VE is based on Debian Linux and yes, this is the best platform for OpenSource virtualization :)

Thanks for your support and time answering all of my questions.
It is true I was confused and did not know why people pushed me in having centos instead of debian for my virtual server. Having my hosting at ovh they instal proxmox right away with debian. If you say debian/proxmox is the best choice in server virtualisation then I will consider this and have this isntallation instead, Thank you again

Its quite clear that I recommend our own solution, but also non Proxmox people have a similar opinion :).

Going with OVH is ok, they are one of our hosting partners and they support the project - so a (small) amount of your money goes back to the future development of Proxmox VE.

yes.

Hello!

I have tried to install both proxmox and debian and neither is installing. Both either crash or error out during formatting on my new dedicated server setupHere are the errors:

proxmox errors when formatting the drive almost instantly and Debian hangs at 33% when creating a fileystem .Could someone expert from thisz forum try to instal it for me for free by providing you with a kvm and the ip address?Thanks

Hello!

I have tried to install both proxmox and debian and neither is installing. Both either crash or error out during formatting on my new dedicated server setupHere are the errors:

proxmox errors when formatting the drive almost instantly and Debian hangs at 33% when creating a fileystem .Could you help me in this new fresh instal?

Hello Transworld,

please let me throw in my oppinion: After reading through all of this thread i come to the conclusion that you lack some experience with linux systems in general. This is not desireable if you take into consideration the almost doubled complexity of one or multiple virtualized systems. You have to know at least the basics of the host system AND the guest systems.
So why dont you take a suitable pc and install a fresh debian at your office. There you have personal access and you can play around. Make sure you understand the principles of kernel, modules and services (daemons, runlevels), then play with networking. Then you might want to install proxmox.

Best regards, Holger

The data center tried to instal a fresh bare metal iso instaler but it does not work still, the software shows error while instaling. can you try to instal it?
Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!