Proxmox 1.6 and QEMU for ARMEL, PPC

A

anton

Hi,

I've deployed Debian 5.0.6 (AMD64) on ProLiant server and after that I've done a package upgrade to Proxmox - I needed a custom disk configuration, but Proxmox 1.6 doesn't allow yet to do that at installation stage. At this point I'm feeling lucky - everything works like a charm.

However, I need to have an ability to start QEMU images for other architectures, like ARMEL and PPC. Can I do that, and if so - what should be kept in mind?

Below is the snippet from a running machine.

Thanks

Code:
# aptitude install qemu
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
 pve-qemu-kvm
The following NEW packages will be installed:
 bochsbios{a} debootstrap{a} libbrlapi0.5{a} libicu38{a}
libpcap0.8{a} libvdemgmt0{a} libvdeplug2{a} openbios-sparc{a}
 openhackware{a} proll{a} qemu sharutils{a} vde2{a} vgabios{a}
0 packages upgraded, 14 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 18.4MB of archives. After unpacking 51.3MB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 pve-qemu-kvm: Conflicts: qemu but 0.9.1-10lenny1 is to be installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
proxmox-ve-2.6.32
pve-manager
pve-qemu-kvm
qemu-server

Okay. But how can I boot existing ARMEL debian image (prepared on 2nd PC with QEMU) into existing QEMU/KVM proxmox solution? Or simply QEMU without any acceleration.

try 'disable KVM', see admin interface - Virtual Machine Configuration/Options

try 'disable KVM', see admin interface - Virtual Machine Configuration/Options

Tom, my idea is to boot ARMEL Linux kernel with qemu-server. Is it supported? I see no mentioning in "man qm" other architectures (I assume that x86 only is supported).

/usr/sbin/qm i a Perl-script itself. And again, no PPC/ARMEL string is there. Ideally what I expect is to have a line in /etc/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf, like "arch=PPC". So it would start qemu-system-ppc for virtual container.

/usr/sbin/qm i a Perl-script itself. And again, no PPC/ARMEL string is there. Ideally what I expect is to have a line in /etc/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf, like "arch=PPC". So it would start qemu-system-ppc for virtual container.

We currently only support x86 - but such patch should be easy to implement.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!