How to know Proxmox and resource limits

W

wally

Hi,
Is there any tools with Proxmox that one can run to give an approximation of what Proxmox thinks is the upper load limit. Example: I would like to know for instance with the speed of the CPU/Memory on the server Proxmox is loaded on what would be the maximum amount of Virtual Clients that can be run on that server before resources are exhausted, I know it may not be precise but looking for ball park.
I know the answer can vary i.e based on amount of cpu/memory given to each VM but I am more thinking along the line that there should be a tool one can run that would evaluate the limit based on a constant (default) say x% of cpu and x% memory and hard drive and based on that give an estimate.
Any suggestions???

we have no tool for that.

for KVM:
see what redhat publishes, same applies for KVM on other platforms

for OpenVZ:
take a look on openvz.org and their communities.

for a mixed Proxmox VE setup: KVM and OpenVZ on the same host
depends on even more factors.

for a special project it makes sense to work with an experienced Proxmox VE support company or if you like, post all your project details in this public forum.

Estimating proxmox capacity in such a way is useless. You've got so many variables in this equation. For example, you never know how much ram you're gonna consume if ksm is running.

Dude - no way

You can guesstimate whatever way you like - but my god as the previous post says there are so many different variables - are you running linux guests and windows guests, will you be using iscsi or fibre, will you have a fast network or slow network, what services will be running in each guest, or how will each guest be utilised (server or workstation), where will you store the guests locally or on external storage, will you run xp or vista or win7 or server 2008 windows guests, will they be 64bit or 32 bit guests. These are just some of them.

There is no easy way to determine this unless as Tom said you want to post exactly what you 'think' you will be doing and using then there is no way to advise you on this

I know one guy running 40 instances of linux on a single proxmox server with local disks and that works for him, but hey each one of those is about 2 to 5% utilised and only occassional spikes at random times that only occassionaly coincide between instances.

We only run 5 linux instances per proxmox because we have heavily loaded guests and other factors to consider.

The only way to know is to research what you have now and get an idea of their load and heavy usage periods, and then do some manual work to do the maths on this one yourself. Based on your current environment or (if you don't have a current environment), some likely usage scenarios for whatever it is you want to run then you can come up with some ball park figures yourself.

Cheers,
MM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!