Problem booting Ubuntu Server Lucid 2.6.32-25 kernels

N

Ninjix

I switched over to pvetest on one of our servers to perform more testing of the -netdev syntax change. Seem some nice improvements as I did in our lab.

Yesterday, I upgraded the guests Ubuntu Lucid kernel packages to linux-image-2.6.32-25-virtual and now they freeze just after grub hands off to the kernel. Reverting to the 2.6.32-24 package works. Other Windows and CentOS guests are unaffected.

Anyone have thoughts to contribute?

Here's the Proxmox host info.
Code:
pve-manager: 1.6-9 (pve-manager/1.6/5307)
running kernel: 2.6.35-1-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.6-7
pve-kernel-2.6.35-1-pve: 2.6.35-7
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-9
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Interesting. My problem machine is also running on an AMD. It's a Quad-Core AMD Opteron 1381. I'll test on our Intel array later today if I get a chance.

No problems on the Intel Xeon servers. Tested both Ubuntu linux-image-2.6.32-25-virtual and the newly released linux-image-2.6.26-virtual.

I've switched back to production repository now that 1.7 has been released. Still have a problem with booting the latest two Ubuntu Lucid kernels on the Proxmox server running an AMD quad core.

A little more trouble shooting has reveled that if I wait long enough (like over night) one of the 2.6.32-25 kernel servers will eventually complete its boot up. Anyone have an recommendations on what I kinds of questions I should be asking Ubuntu kernel experts or KVM people?

Here's the info on the CPU in question.

Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 16
model		: 4
model name	: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1381
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 2500.000
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 4
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 4
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 5
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bogomips	: 5023.92
TLB size	: 1024 4K pages
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

Thanks for linking that LP bug, spirit. I've added my comments as well.

It seems to have something to do with SMP kernel changes. Setting guest to only one CPU socket with a single core provides a workaround.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!