problem with default UTF8 not UTF-8

JustaGuy

Renowned Member
Jan 1, 2010
I have an open ticket with my email provider after discovering I wasn't able to search the message body on reports generated by vzdump.

It was determined to be due to a missing hyphen in the message header, which prevents the message from being indexed.
Code:
Content-Type: text/plain;
        charset="UTF8"
I see that the host's locale is set to UTF8 not UTF-8
Code:
# locale -a
C
POSIX
en_US.utf8
This post details a procedure to change the locale.
I'm hesitant to do that after reading on the net about how utf8 could be a required by perl.

I'd like to know if making the change is advised before I do anything, in case there are unseen implications to doing so.

Code:
# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.6-5 (pve-manager/1.6/5261)
running kernel: 2.6.35-1-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.6-7
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-25
pve-kernel-2.6.35-1-pve: 2.6.35-7
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-14
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-8
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Today I checked on /etc/locale.gen, and confirmed the line that's not commented indeed is correct:
Code:
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

And I ran the procedure to update the locale:
Code:
# locale-gen
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

And still the system locale is UTF8, without the hyphen:
Code:
# locale -a
C
POSIX
en_US.utf8

I know this is old but I think I figured out whats happening. I'll bet if you did a locale command without the -a you would see that all your locales are set to POSIX and not en_US.UTF-8. I had the same problem in a openVZ container and did this to fix it.

Code:
[COLOR=#484848]export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
[/COLOR][COLOR=#484848]export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
[/COLOR][COLOR=#484848]export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
[/COLOR][COLOR=#484848]locale-gen en_US.UTF-8 [/COLOR][COLOR=#484848]
[/COLOR][COLOR=#484848]dpkg-reconfigure locales
[/COLOR]

This moved the POSIX entry below the en-US.UTF-8 one in the list and made it work for me. It still says utf8 without the dash if I use just the plain locale command but locale -a gives the correct information

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!