proxmox performance concerns

baboo

Nov 14, 2010
Hi,

First let me say that proxmox is quite impressive. I just want to run two domains with tomcat application servers. So, I have been testing proxmox. Here is test box:

4 Gig Ram
500 Gig HD
4 quad cpu
scsi
1 nic (1G)

I am trying to learn virtualization, so please go easy on me :). Here is what I am seeing.

1. installed proxmox
2. updated and the installed 2.6.35 kernel
3. created KVM
32 gig drive
1000 Ram
scsi hd
virtio nic driver

4. installed slackware
5. no problems with install
6. sshing into proxmox (host) . after loging in its slow. Not VM but host
7. This has me nervous. I'm just running vm and nothing else but sshing into host is quite slow.
8. Question here: Should I install more nics? read a guide that suggested with proxmox should install three nics and run vm on third nic. Would that help?

just looking for some insight. As it is now, I would not deploy on a production server at another location because of performance. Am I being unreasonable?

thanks for any help

you need to elaborate what "slow" is ...

see the running processes, syslog, dmesg,

just a hint: use virtio hdd for your guest.

6. sshing into proxmox (host) . after loging in its slow. Not VM but host
7. This has me nervous. I'm just running vm and nothing else but sshing into host is quite slow.
8. Question here: Should I install more nics? read a guide that suggested with proxmox should install three nics and run vm on third nic.

I've concluded that ssh is simply slow.
I notice increased ssh lag when any of the server's networks are not fully functional.
Even on other Debians.

What I see specifically is the establishing of a connection taking up to 30 seconds, after it starts it blazes through like normal.
I think it's because my server's all network cards & not all are properly configured yet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!