Processor Utiiization Sky Rockets -- Hard reset needed

rayk_sland

Jul 30, 2009
This was all referenced in a previous post, and I did my best to follow all the suggestions and the problem seemed to go away. But it came back last night with a vengeance.

Latest stable proxmox 1.6 kernel
64 bit Debian Lenny guest.
Virtio Disk on a LVM partition from a shared pool (exactly as recommended)
3 processor cores

Twice in a row I had to issue a qm stop command against it. No shut down possible. Twice in a row the guest had to check the damaged file system and reboot a second time.

qm monitor 'info cpus' command showed 2 of 3 CPU's in an ?inactive? state (sorry I should have documented exactly what it said -- I was in a hurry to get it back up, at any rate 3 CPU's were listed and two had an extra flag something to do with inactive) Anyways I reconfigured the guest for only one core and it seems to be stable now. Any Idea what causes this behaviour?

name: MailServer-64
ide2: local:iso/debian-502a-amd64-netinst.iso,media=cdrom
sockets: 1
vlan0: e1000=26:D2:30:41:CA:CD
bootdisk: virtio0
# virtio1: OCFS_Share:108/vm-108-disk.qcow2
ostype: l26
memory: 9000
vlan1: e1000=1E:1E:E1:C9:75:04
onboot: 0
cores: 1
boot: cd
freeze: 0
cpuunits: 1000
acpi: 1
kvm: 1
virtio0: pool2:vm-108-disk-1
args: -no-hpet

after reading the other similar thread,(http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/5144-100-CPU-on-host-VM-hang-every-night) I added the args: -no-hpet. line. (and the kernel parameter in the guest grub.conf) -- they're is not active yet as I haven't had a good opportunity to restart the server (it's pretty critical)
the cores: line used to read 'cores: 3' but reducing it to 1 has given it the stability I referred to.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!