No Connection

Moxprox

Nov 21, 2010
Sorry about my english, but my school-english is very old.

I've installed proxmox (latest) without problems. Now i can't reach the machine. Ping from another machine in my network says "no connection".
eth0 has the correct ip.
i have two controllers onboard plus a wlan-controller.
so i have changed the cable to the other port - without success.

I need help.

Hi,
proxmox use bridges - so eth0 schould not have an ip address. therefor vmbr0 is the bridge, where eth0 (default) is connected.
So you have to use your ip address at vmbr0, and all VMs can use the bridge too - and use an own IP from this network.

If you have two networks, use both NICs (with two bridges). And forget the wlan - wlan-nics often don't run in bridges.

Udo

Hallo Udo,
ich schreibs lieber mal in deutsch. Habe also proxmox installiert. Bei der Installation habe ich die 192.168.2.101 vergeben und für Gateway und DNS die Fritzbox eingetragen, die bei mir die 192.168.2.2 hat. Mehr ist ja auch nicht einzutragen. Folglich bin ich davon ausgegangen, dass ich die Maschine nun auf der 101er IP von außen erreichen kann. Beide Netzwerkkarten bleiben aber dunkel, als ob sie nicht gestartet sind. Ping in beide Richtungen bringt das Ergebnis, dass keine Verbindung vorhanden ist.
Es geht also um das allererste Erreichen der Maschine. Bisher ist dort nichts gelaufen außer der Installation. Mich wundert es, dass nach dem Hochfahren gemeldet wird, dass ich die Maschine unter 192.168.2.101 über einen Browser erreichen kann.
Ist bei der Installation was schief gelaufen, dass nun entsprechende Einträge auf die vmbr's fehlen? Es ist ja noch keine VM eingerichtet.
Macht mein Proz bei der Geschichte (VM) überhaupt mit? Es ist ein Intel Core2 Duo E4300.

Hallo Udo,
ich schreibs lieber mal in deutsch. Habe also proxmox installiert. Bei der Installation habe ich die 192.168.2.101 vergeben und für Gateway und DNS die Fritzbox eingetragen, die bei mir die 192.168.2.2 hat. Mehr ist ja auch nicht einzutragen. Folglich bin ich davon ausgegangen, dass ich die Maschine nun auf der 101er IP von außen erreichen kann. Beide Netzwerkkarten bleiben aber dunkel, als ob sie nicht gestartet sind. Ping in beide Richtungen bringt das Ergebnis, dass keine Verbindung vorhanden ist.
Es geht also um das allererste Erreichen der Maschine. Bisher ist dort nichts gelaufen außer der Installation. Mich wundert es, dass nach dem Hochfahren gemeldet wird, dass ich die Maschine unter 192.168.2.101 über einen Browser erreichen kann.
Ist bei der Installation was schief gelaufen, dass nun entsprechende Einträge auf die vmbr's fehlen? Es ist ja noch keine VM eingerichtet.
Macht mein Proz bei der Geschichte (VM) überhaupt mit? Es ist ein Intel Core2 Duo E4300.

I understand there must be significant frustration, but I prefer to read in english, so I'll just post the Google output for the sake of the rest of us.

Google_Translate said:

the translation is very funny.:D
so i have another try.

the installation was normal without any error message.
during the installation i had to make some inputs.
so i gave the ip 192.168.2.101 to the proxmox-machine and for gateway and dns the ip from my fritzbox which is 192.168.2.2
after all was finished i made a click on reboot. the cd with the iso-file was taken out off the device.
the machine made a reboot and after a minute she was up and wrote on the display that i now could reach it with an external browser over the 192.168.2.101.
the led's from both network cards in my machine were dark. no connection was possible. no ping in both directions worked.
i have tried both cards which definitly work fine with another installation and no change in bios.
so i suppose that the network-card(s) is not started. but why after a fresh installation???

the other question is whether my Core2 Duo E4300 is able to handle VM's?

looks like you did it all right.

which iso image so you use? the latest - proxmox-ve_1.6-5261-4.iso?

what kind of NIC do you have in your box?

proxmox-ve_1.6-5121-4.iso is what i've used.
the netword card is onboard. is an usual asus-board about 4 years old. i've to start with xp to check the network-chip.

@ Udo:
i've checked with ifconfig. eth0 is without ip. the ip 192.168.2.101 is on vmbr0.
i've disabled the second onboard network card in bios.

try the latest ISO, includes newer kernel and newer drivers. better?

no success. :(
the nic-led's do not glow !!

It would help if you can answer the questions, again:
what kind of NIC do you have in your box?

and try debug installation, just type 'debug' on the boot prompt (from ISO) and find out which driver is needed/missing, e.g. with 'lspci -v' and 'lsmod'

Now i have had a look on the asus-site. My board is a P5B deluxe about 4 years old. The two onboard-nics are from Marvell Yukon. Asus has Linux-drivers for this board which are from 2007/04/17, so i suppose that the actual proxmox-dist knows them.
In the evening i will try your advise. Thanks !!

I did it without success.
I've a new debian-lenny installation which works. How to push it up to proxmox?
The other possibility is to install the Asus-linux-driver, but i am newbie.

Thx. This site i visited on yesterday evening und had a try. May be i made some mistakes because i had no success. I'll have another try in the evening.
What i used ist this collection: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.6/i386/iso-dvd/ with all5 dvd's plus the update dvd. I did not find a notice which kernel is used. So i have to check it at home in the evening.

you need a Lenny AMD64, not i386.

amd64 is the synonym for 64-bit operation system.
i386 for 32-bit.

why do you give me a practical solution ?? ;)
b.t.w. my nic's are very old.
do proxmox-vm's run in 32 oder in 64 bit ?
my nic's do not support 64 bit. the nic's onboard do this!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!