Support for OpenStack Swift Object Storage?

mlanner

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Hi,

Given all the buzz around OpenStack lately, are there any plans for supporting OpenStack's Swift Object Storage in the future?

Given all the buzz around OpenStack lately, are there any plans for supporting OpenStack's Swift Object Storage in the future?

No (we plan to use sheepdog). Anyways, you tested it already? What performance do you get? Is it stable already?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never heard of Sheepdog before. Looks similar in many ways. I'll need to look into that more. When do you expect to have Sheepdog integrated/implemented in Proxmox? Not very soon I assume?

I did build a small Swift cluster based on the "Swift All In One" instructions. It was pretty straight forward to install. I've not had time to play around and test it much yet. Given that Rackspace is using it in production, and AFAIK, have been, for a few years now, my guess is that it's pretty stable.

Dietmar,

I just found this little snippet in the "roadmap" section on the wiki:

"New cluster communication based on corosync"

... having looked into Sheepdog a bit today and adding one and one together, does that mean that Sheepdog is on the roadmap for 2.0?

If so, I can't wait for 2.0. :D

Dietmar,

I just found this little snippet in the "roadmap" section on the wiki:

"New cluster communication based on corosync"

... having looked into Sheepdog a bit today and adding one and one together, does that mean that Sheepdog is on the roadmap for 2.0?

If so, I can't wait for 2.0. :D

no, sheepdog is not ready for 2.0. but we are also quite eager to have something like this.

if Sheepdog used in PVE2, is the ha-scenario this:
2-node cluster use drbd in primary/primary?
>2-node cluster use sheepdog?

You can use sheepdog with more than 2 nodes, so the ha scenario with sheepdog is:

32-node cluster with sheepdog ;-)

Note: The authors even talk about 1000 nodes (but i am not sure if that is feasible with corosync now)

You can use sheepdog with more than 2 nodes, so the ha scenario with sheepdog is:

32-node cluster with sheepdog ;-)

Note: The authors even talk about 1000 nodes (but i am not sure if that is feasible with corosync now)
Hi,
thats sounds good for me ;-) - not due to the 1000 host - i think in the near future are six enough for me.
But do i undestand right, that with sheepdog all data of all nodes are replicated to all nodes? E.G. the space on every node must fit for all data? Or is this splittable (e.g. some nodes have the data of a, b, c and d and other nodes has a, b, e, f and so on?

Udo

you just define the redundancy level, e.g. 3 will be a reasonable value. that means sheepdog will replicate the data to 3 hosts in your cluster.

Are there plans to include Sheepdog in pve-test or other Proxmox repos anytime soon? I'd be happy to put together a small cluster for testing. Do you have any functional diagrams/specs of how Sheepdog will be integrated? Do you plan to ship a "turn-key" Proxmox Sheepdog "appliance"? That would be really sweet.

As if it's not completely obvious, this really excites me. :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!