Proxmox shows 8 CPUS on Quad core server

twocell

May 12, 2010
Just installed Proxmox on a new server with a Intel L3650 CPU. Proxmox is showing 8 CPUS when I believe I should see 4.
Code:
CPU(s)8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5630  @ 2.13GHz

Anyone have any insight on this? Does this indicate a problem I need to fix? As always thanks for reading.

this cpu has 4 cores with HT (hypherthreading). if you do not want HT, disable it in the mainboard bios.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought that might be the reason, but I didn't see that in the CPU specs. Nice... 4 bonus cpus!

Well, a cake does not really get bigger if split into more pieces ;-)

Maybe it does. This ancient (2003) IBM developerworks benchmark shows a 30% performance boost in some multithreaded applications. So it may be good to leave it on. Still multiple cores + hyperthreading seems like redundant features to me, I guess that's why I didn't think hyperthreading would be a feature of that CPU. =)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!