apt-get on strike

shatter

Nov 27, 2009
Hi *,

apt-get on my installation does not work anymore (after an update?).

Code:
nwivz:/usr/lib# apt-get
apt-get: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by apt-get)
apt-get: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6.so.4.6)

nwivz:/usr/lib# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.5-10 (pve-manager/1.5/4822)
running kernel: 2.6.24-10-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.24: 1.5-21
pve-kernel-2.6.24-10-pve: 2.6.24-21
pve-kernel-2.6.24-8-pve: 2.6.24-16
qemu-server: 1.1-16
pve-firmware: 1.0-5
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-13
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve11
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.4-1
nwivz:/usr/lib#
nwivz:/usr/lib# uname -a
Linux nwivz 2.6.24-10-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 29 10:16:15 CET 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Any suggestions?

VG

Joachim

It's not the best solution, but you could try re-installing aptitude with dpkg.

Code:
cd ~ && wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/aptitude_0.4.11.11-1~lenny1_amd64.deb && dpkg -i aptitude_0.4.11.11-1~lenny1_amd64.deb

The problem with this is that I don't know how it would affect security updates that may one day need to be applied to aptitude itself, since now it's been installed locally, and as such is no longer handled automatically by itself.

This repair method, if successful would require scheduled manual maintenance to ensure it remains up to date.
You could keep up on the package's development progress via it's news feed.

You might even have encountered a known bug, in which case you can subscribe to that bug's mailing list to keep up on and inquire about solutions to & progress related specifically to it.

You can search that package's bug reports and see, at first glance it looks like there's alot for that one.
If that's the case, a developer involved with and knowledgeable on the specific issue would be better equipped to suggest appropriate corrective action.

I'm on a few bug lists, waiting for my issues to be resolved- they're waiting for me to learn to code & fix them myself it seems, hehe.

Good luck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!