Serious Problems with Proxmox server performance.

reloaded

Aug 25, 2009
Good morning everyone.

We have a cluster with 1.6-Proxmox VZ use to open exclusively, the cluster has about 90-100 nodes.

All nodes work at 0.9 to 1.2 of load, are not saturated and performance is optimal, we are very happy with the system Proxmox cluster.

The problem is:

Apparently, despite the changes that we indicate, the vz use all the processor cores and the power of the discs.

This means that if a container has a problem vz and make extensive use of disk and micro, the node does not put limits on disk usage and processor. Therefore a single container VZ is able to break an entire node containers affecting the rest of VZ.

I have read everything related to the limitations of container VZ, limiting cpu, cpu units etc. ..

All this is automatically applied when performing a high vz container, but we see that a single container vz, is capable of driving up the load to 60, causing serious problems for the performance of other containers.

My questions are:

There any way to limit disk access per container?

There any effective way to limit CPU cores per container?

There any way to limit the maximum allowed average load per container?

Thank you very much for everything

my kernel version is: 2.6.1932 is installed that version of the SSH bug in 64-bit servers.

I guess being a later version, also incorporates the CPU limit.

without integrating this functionality. That much needed functionality is in Open VZ but is excluded from Proxmox?

I see this much needed functionality to the healthy functioning of a cluster and own VPS.

Also if it does not, that way you can do Proxmox limitation 1.6? something must exist to limit the VPS and that one can not collapse the node.

Thank you very much for everything.

my kernel version is: 2.6.1932 is installed that version of the SSH bug in 64-bit servers.
Is that a proxmox-kernel?? I think no (uname -a).

A load of 60 looks like a bad io-subsystem. What kind of disk/raidcontroller do you have? Do you have the chance to improve the IO (better raid-controller/better disks/raid10?).

Udo

Sorry

The correct value is:

Linux ded162 2.6.32-4-pve #1 SMP Mon Sep 20 11:36:51 CEST 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And :pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS: 24531.52
REGEX/SECOND: 1120857
HD SIZE: 94.49 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS: 174.63 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 9.07 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 627.19
DNS EXT: 104.78 ms
DNS INT: 99.37 ms ()

The raid conf is : RAID 1

the problem is that any virtual machine can make full use of chip resources and hard drive, so you can lock the other virtual machines and the primary node.

I understand that this is permissible for a Proxmox on a node with a few virtual machines, but for a structure of more than 1000 virtual machines makes the system an unmanageable system.

please some help?

I think it is important to restrict access Proxmox microprocessor or disk. Anyone know how?

Since the interface when I limit the microprocessor cores does not effect.

Thank you very much for your help.

just read what Dietmar already posted.: "Cpu limits only work with 2.6.18"

thanks tom

I read the post of dietmar, but I would like to know, if that option will be available in the new kernel or not. Or if there is any other way to limit a vps use all the resources of chip and disk of a node.

No matter how I have to do, only I wonder if you can do.

Thanks for the prompt response.

thanks tom

I read the post of dietmar, but I would like to know, if that option will be available in the new kernel or not....

Agian - Cpu limits only work with 2.6.18.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!