Can't create bridged network when using kvm

josef__

Nov 16, 2010
Hello,

i installed Proxmox by upgrading a fresh Debian installation. But now when i want to create a VM with KVM i can't choose vmbr0 as Network. Also my vmbr0 is not and can't be made active ( "brctl show" shows nothing). And yes i assigned vmbr0 to eth0. Still vmbr0 can't be made active. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Josef

This is my "interfaces" config:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.177.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.177.0
broadcast 192.168.177.255
gateway 192.168.177.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 192.168.178.1
dns-search local.lan

this is my "interfaces.new" config

# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.177.253
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.177.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

also i noticed that there is a always this message no matter what i do. Even reboot won't make this message go away...

Attention: Network configuration changed. Please reboot to activate changes. (hide changes)

The rights for interfaces is rw r r and for interfaces.new also rw r r.

I really don't know what i am doing wrong. But i have to use Proxmox by upgrading a debian system because of my software raid. Otherwise i could use the ISO to install Proxmox.

I really don't know what i am doing wrong.

I guess your /etc/network/interfaces file is newer than /etc/network/interfaces.new? In that case we do not overwrite the file to protect your modifications.

I suggest you simply copy the file manually:

# mv /etc/network/interfaces.new /etc/network/interfaces

then reboot.

Hello again.

Your solution of copying interfaces.new to interfaces worked for me. Because the changes made in the web interface are being taken over by copying. But one problem still remains. I have to do the copying all the time i change something in the web interface. Changes are not being taken over automatically as it should be. There is this message after i change something in the web interface but when i click reboot the changes are not being taken over.

this is the message as mentioned above:

Attention: Network configuration changed. Please reboot to activate changes. (hide changes)

thanks in advance

josef__

Try to debug the script '/usr/bin/pvesetup'. At startup we run

# pvesetup --init

any hint when you run that manually?

Hello,

yeah when i change configuration in web interface and than run "pvsetup --init" the configuration is being taken over from interface.new to interface and the Message below disappears.

A reboot than makes configurations made active.

thanks

josef__

But it's still a workaround for me. I would like to manage to just use the web interface to change settings...

Would be very nice...

thanks

josef__

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!