Java Thread Dump in VE not working

monster

Oct 23, 2010
I'm trying to port a VirtualBox VM to Proxmox as a VE. I've got things kind of working, but my Java portal (Liferay) sometimes hangs for ever (5+ minutes) before returning a page. It's not a memory problem; I am using 2GB from 12GB ram. That is my main problem, but to solve it, I have to be able to see what Tomcat is actually doing by creating a Java Thread-Dump. This is normally produced under Linux with a "kill -3 (-QUIT)" to the Java process. Unfortunately, this does not seem to work in the VE. I have tried both with the newest 2.6.32 kernel, and the newest 2.6.18 kernel. Is that (the kill -3 not working) a known bug? Or can someone try it in their own VZ environment and tell me if Java supports the kill -3? Maybe it's a tomcat-specific problem, or maybe it depends on the Java version or something else. I am currently using:

java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.2) (6b18-1.8.2-4ubuntu2)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)

inside a Ubuntu 10.04.1 server (i386).

[EDIT] I installed the smae Java into the host, and tried it there, and there kill -3 worked. It must be a VE/OpenVZ problem.

Last edited:
try assign MUCH more RAM to the container, better? and use the the search function of the form regarding Zimbra issues (Java and memory related) - should point you to the right direction.

try assign MUCH more RAM to the container, better? and use the the search function of the form regarding Zimbra issues (Java and memory related) - should point you to the right direction.

Thanks for the tip! I found many post on the subject.

BTW, I was wrong with kill -3 ; it also work in OpenVZ/VE. It seems to be a Tomcat issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!