One Nic but need multiple IP's

E

eth0

I am lost - looked @ the WIKI - but still am lost.

What I have is a system that has 1 NIC.
I want to be able to setup PVE so that vps can use a few ip ranges

and 10.10.253.145

How Do I do this with just 1 NIC ?

To be clear - normally I would go to /etc/network/interfaces and do something like this

iface eth0 inet static
address 12.69.12.145
netmask 255.255.255.128
gateway 12.69.12.129

iface eth0:0 inet static
address 10.10.253.20
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 12.69.12.1

the vmbr0 stuff and such has me completely lost however

I have reviewed: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model#Default_Configuration_.28bridged.29

but for some reason I cannot bind more than 1 ip to a bridged ethernet device
like choosing vmbr1 to eth0 with a different ip

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
if your switch support vlans (802.1q) you can use many different vlans over one connection (up to 4096).

Then you have eth0.10 and eth0.30 (for vlan 10 and vlan 30) and can add this to vmbr10 and vmbr30 (only for instance).

Udo

In short - I wish that was possible:

We have 3 servers - each with 1 NIC - we want to have each server talk to each other over the switch ports we have been assigned by the datacenter.
We are only billed for traffic out of our mini-network - BUT we do not have access to the switch and/or the ability to assign vlans

Any other ideas?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!