KVM or OpenVZ which is best

Nov 12, 2010
Hi,

I know this has been spoken about but I am hoping someone can give me some further help into deciding which is the best for us, and limitations of each one.

For me the fact there is no boot console in openvz, and no iSCSI support really makes me lean towards KVM.

However we are running this as our PBX server and therefore throughput and hardware timing is crucial. Yes you can get around hardware timing issues with KVM via paravirtualisation, but how about the throughput. Is it really noticeably faster for linux hosts under openVZ compared with KVM?

Is there any way at all to get around the iSCSI and high availability with openVZ or is it simply no - use KVM if you require that?

I mean can you not just create a mount point for the iSCSI target in the host os and then sym link the openVZ folders to there?

And any way to get the boot console side of things working with openvz or just have to manually go through the logs for debugging etc?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help advice etc?

Hi,

I know this has been spoken about but I am hoping someone can give me some further help into deciding which is the best for us, and limitations of each one.

For me the fact there is no boot console in openvz ...

did you see our init logger? after your start the container, go to Logs/ Boot-Init - you will see what you need.

I like how Tom dodged the actual question of "Which is best?", however I bet I can read his mind! Tom will say "What is best is different for everybody!".

I would like to know the answer to this question as well, but unfortunately I know it's not that simple and Tom is correct.

for me and my web servers (forums, wiki, joomla, etc.) its quite clear - OpenVZ is much better suited than KVM - as I can use Linux.

and of course, my windows servers are running under KVM.

but as oeginc mentioned it just depends on many factors.

for me and my web servers (forums, wiki, joomla, etc.) its quite clear - OpenVZ is much better suited than KVM - as I can use Linux.

and of course, my windows servers are running under KVM.

but as oeginc mentioned it just depends on many factors.

OK thanks for the response, and although not really answering the question I think you have given me a push in the work it out for yourself direction which I will attempt to do :D It is afterall a free product :)

Cheers

Hi,

For me the fact there is no boot console in openvz
there is our boot init logger for OpenVZ.

and no iSCSI support really makes me lean towards KVM.

However we are running this as our PBX server and therefore throughput and hardware timing is crucial. Yes you can get around hardware timing issues with KVM via paravirtualisation, but how about the throughput. Is it really noticeably faster for linux hosts under openVZ compared with KVM?

Is there any way at all to get around the iSCSI and high availability with openVZ or is it simply no - use KVM if you require that?

the 1.x series does not include HA, neither for for OpenVZ nor KVM. but if you know what you are doing you can adapt a lot to fit to your requirements. the 2.x series will change a lot.

I mean can you not just create a mount point for the iSCSI target in the host os and then sym link the openVZ folders to there?

that should be possible.

And any way to get the boot console side of things working with openvz or just have to manually go through the logs for debugging etc?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help advice etc?
see above, boot/init logger.

Hi,

This excerpt from the wiki:

One major benefit of storing VM´s on shared storage is the ability to live-migrate running machines without any downtime, as all compute nodes in the cluster have direct access to VM disk images.

How does the live migrate feature work exactly, and if I have the iSCSI manually mounted and the openVZ folder structure stored on that can this also benefit from live migrate?

OpenVZ can do live migration using local storage. it basically just do several rsyncs and you will notice no downtime. works reliable in the 2.6.18 branch (shared storage is not supported).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!