Installing Windows Server 2003 r2 Enterprise x64 on Proxmox 1.6

sean

Nov 11, 2010
I am trying to install server 2003 r2 64bit os onto a dell poweredge 1950. Proxmox installs without a hitch but as soon as I try and install the 64bit os it immediately gives the following error -

Enable the local advanced programmable interrupt controller (APIC). The x64-based operating system you are loading does not have APIC enabled. Check the systems firmware settings and make sure that the firmware has enabled the APIC on this system.

I cannot find anything like this in the bios and the firmware is up to date - has anyone come across this and is there any way around it?

win2003 should install without issues, post the output of:
Code:
pveversion -v

I get the following output -
pve-manager: 1.6-5 (pve-manager/1.6/5261)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.6-24
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-24
qemu-server: 1.1-22
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-14
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-8
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

looks ok so, so the basic questions:
  • any update to the dell bios?
  • can you install other KVM guest, e.g Ubuntu Desktop?

I need to check again if there is a newer firmware version, but I think it is current.

I can start the install for windows 2003 r2 server 32 bit with no problems, but on the x64 bit version I get the black screen instantly.

I will check 2 things in the morning - firmware & try a different set of disks / os and report back

does the windows 2003r2 ISO contains sp2? I am just installing this here, no issues so far.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!