On each restart the PVE server requiere "Press CTRL+D to continue". What Ii can do?

nick

Mar 28, 2007
Hi All,

I have a server who all the time when the server is reboot (forced by power failure) require CTRL+D to continue. This is very annoying because I need to ask someone all the time to make this operation.

How can I correct this error?

Thank you.

Re: On each restart the PVE server requiere "Press CTRL+D to continue". What Ii can d

Hi All,

I have a server who all the time when the server is reboot (forced by power failure) require CTRL+D to continue. This is very annoying because I need to ask someone all the time to make this operation.

How can I correct this error?

The server only ask if it needs user intervention, i.e. to correct files system inconsistencies.

You can't change that. But you can by yourself an UPS.

Re: On each restart the PVE server requiere "Press CTRL+D to continue". What Ii can d

I have an UPS...but sometimes the power failure it's bigger then UPS capacity.

I understand that....but what what we need to check. Where I can see the errors. I look in /var/log files but I can't find anything...

I understand that....but what what we need to check. Where I can see the errors.

On the console - when you press <ctrl-d>

On the console - when you press <ctrl-d>

When I press CTRL+D the system ask me for root password and that's it. wait for a command. To continue load the system we type Exit and press Enter.
No instructions about the maintenance command.

That's why I ask where to search in LOG to see what is the error and what I can do to correct.

I imagine that the system write this errors into a log file.

When I press CTRL+D the system ask me for root password and that's it.

Really - normally it prints information about what's wrong - including instruction what do to (i.e. run fsck).

on next reboot I will look more careful to see the error. Maybe I will fix it. I believe it's a fsck error...and in this case what command I should use?

man fsck :)

typically something like "fsck.ext3 -p /dev/mapper/pve-data" could do (if it's your pve-data that has been hit)
otherweise the path could be /dev/pve/root

but the few lines on the screen before "press ctrl+d" should explain quite clearly what's wrong.

Anyway, I'm impressed that simply logging in and rebooting helps along in this case.

regards
hk

Hi,
another possibility is, that your hw-clock is wrong (e.g. 1 hour back). Ifn the filesystem time is in the future, the mounting fail.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!