Hardware recommendations/recipes

twocell

May 12, 2010
I'm putting together hardware for my production cluster. I've been looking at a Supermicro Twin^2 which is a barebones server that puts four servers in one 2U case sharing one redundant PS. It seems good, except for the Intel ICH10R fakeraid, which I doubt is going to run well under Proxmox. I'd much prefer to use Linux software raid, but I don't want to run into a tremendous hassle every time I upgrade Proxmox.

It also brings up the question: should I run 4 different identical servers with raid on each, or should I have a dedicated storage/NAS machine?

If anyone has any successful hardware recipes please share!

I'm putting together hardware for my production cluster. I've been looking at a Supermicro Twin^2 which is a barebones server that puts four servers in one 2U case sharing one redundant PS. It seems good, except for the Intel ICH10R fakeraid, which I doubt is going to run well under Proxmox. I'd much prefer to use Linux software raid, but I don't want to run into a tremendous hassle every time I upgrade Proxmox.

It also brings up the question: should I run 4 different identical servers with raid on each, or should I have a dedicated storage/NAS machine?

If anyone has any successful hardware recipes please share!
Hi,
depends on your usage - with OpenVZ you need local storage - a fast raidcontroller make sense.
With kvm you will be best with fast external storage to use live migration - perhaps you don't need a raid controller (if your configs are backed up).
I startet with proxmox on a sun blade - with an ugly slow lsi onboard raid controller ( a shame for sun and lsi...). With external storage (Fibre Channel) it work's but not with real fun.
Now i have a fast raid controller and also FC-Storage and i'm happy with this (need only better drbd-performance).

Udo

I'm not reselling virtual machines, so the the machines need to support just a few guests for one organization; a couple of legacy Windows 2003 KVM's and some Linux guests, probably KVM as well since I'm not sure I need the density of OpenVZ (and I want to run the latest Ubuntu LTS). The applications are web servers, email servers, DNS servers and database servers.

I'm thinking about building a Openfiler storage server for storage. I'm wondering how iSCSI will perform on a gigabit lan ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!