nagios: Warning: The check of host '****' could not be performed due to a fork()

RRJ

Apr 14, 2010
Estonia, Tallinn
hello, sirs!

I've installed the nagios with nagvis plugin and from time to time it stops to respond, while i still can vzctl enter into this machine.
i receive this message in /var/log/messages

the /proc/bc/resources gives me failcnt errors on privvmpages all the time. i tried to give it more memory, but it asks for more all the time (maxheld is larger than barrier)

kernel:
Linux sisemon 2.6.18-2-pve #1 SMP Mon Feb 1 10:45:26 CET 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
pveversion:

proxmox-ve-2.6.18: 1.5-5
pve-kernel-2.6.24-11-pve: 2.6.24-23
pve-kernel-2.6.24-10-pve: 2.6.24-21
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-16
pve-firmware: 1.0-5
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-13
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve11
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18: 0.9.1-5

also used 2.6.24 kernel for a while - no changes.

Please can you ask on the project mailing list (nagios, ..) why it uses so much memory? As workaround, you can try to use a KVM VM.

Hello and thank You for reply.
I don't think that it is up to nagios, as i've got another V Node, where i run the same nagios version, but without proxmox on centos 5.5 with pure openvz. it has a lot more hosts and services to check, i've gave it about 2 GB of guarmem and i've never seen such error same with failcnt.

for an example right now i've got the same issue + nagios is not responding and i've got tons of other error messages in log about rw access error

but in the same time i've got lots of free mem for it:

Code:
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1548288     800540     747748          0          0          0
-/+ buffers/cache:     800540     747748
Swap:            0          0          0

also i see this pic in /proc/bc/resources
Code:
 privvmpages                198750               638212               387072               399572                32148
how maxheld could be more, than the barrier is?

as the kernel is the one in charge of memory sharing, i suppose that it is a kernel bug.

Last edited:
i always restart container after i change any setting.
to be "clean" i've just made
vzsplit for 5 containers (as i run really 5, but they dont eat that much mem) and applied the config for it. i'll check it in few days, usually it took 2 days to start give me those errors.

nope. today started to receive same errors and failcnt counter is 10 for privvmpages.

i did it before and that was the reason i tried the vzplit. with vzsplit setup it ran about a week without probles. with web 2-3 days.
openvz guys replied that they stoped 2.6.24 support long time ago, i'm waiting for kernel version advice.

they do advised me 2.6.32
is there a way to install 2.6.32 with proxmox with openvz and kvm working?

we are working on that, lets see if we can manage it to release something to pvetest this week ...

okay. thank you for your reply.
i'll keep my eye on this topic and forums and definitely will give it a try.
i couldnt manage to start my other openvz machine with clear openvz and centos running on it after installing the rpm with 2.6.32 kernel :(

i've upgraded, thanks.
but it seems its some kind of nagios problem.
the folder var/nagios/spool/checkresults doesnt get it files deleted some-why. i will continue to reserch. may be it is some-how related to proxmox too (i suspect it happens after vzdump, mby i should to stop, not to snapshot the vps)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!