Proxmox installer installs grub in the wrong disk ?

xagaba

Aug 10, 2010
Barcelona, Spain
Hi, at first thanks for the good work with proxmox VE.

Installing a server with 6 sata internal disks (sda-sdf) and 1 esata disk (sdg) I got stuck with blocked system after install and reboot (no message in screen).

It's possible that the proxmox install puts the grub in the first disk (sda) instead of the disk I choose to install system (sdg) ?

I disconnect the 6 internal sata disks and the installation goes fine, and the system boots correctly.
After reconnecting the 6 sata disks the system works fine also.

Will be possible to choose the disk where to install grub in the installation process to avoid this problem ? (if this is the problem of course)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Xavier

Will be possible to choose the disk where to install grub in the installation process to avoid this problem ? (if this is the problem of course)

We use grub (hd0) to install grub - AFAIK this should be the first disk.

We use grub (hd0) to install grub - AFAIK this should be the first disk.
Maybe, if the user has the choice to select destination disk at install, can be useful to ask also for the disk that powers the system for grub install.
Actually many bios permit to override the disk order at boot and let the user select the boot drive.
Only 2cents...

And while we are at it, how about giving the option of partition sizes. It's a pain to have to boot a live distro to resize the LVM sizes after install. I for one don't need a 15GB swap or a 30 GB root partition and a 800GB data.
With a 1TB disk, i would choose a 2GB swap, 15GB root and 20GB data. On the rest of the disk space put an empty VG for virtual disks.

How do you calculate the partition sizes anyway?

And while we are at it, how about giving the option of partition sizes. It's a pain to have to boot a live distro to resize the LVM sizes after install. I for one don't need a 15GB swap or a 30 GB root partition and a 800GB data.
With a 1TB disk, i would choose a 2GB swap, 15GB root and 20GB data. On the rest of the disk space put an empty VG for virtual disks.

How do you calculate the partition sizes anyway?
Hi,
the size of root and swap can you select with the boot parameters maxroot and maxswap - see also here http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/3424-Large-pve-root?p=19195#post19195

A second vg on local storage is not normal (can be usefull of course) and i think it's no problem to do this with a little bit handwork.

Udo

Hi,
the size of root and swap can you select with the boot parameters maxroot and maxswap - see also here http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/3424-Large-pve-root?p=19195#post19195

A second vg on local storage is not normal (can be usefull of course) and i think it's no problem to do this with a little bit handwork.

Udo

Just a note. On my 1.5 disc I just got, 'maxswap' does nothing and the correct parameter is 'swapsize'. 'maxroot' is correct though. Either it has been changed in recent times or it has gotten confused within the community.

hth,
Mark

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!