PBXinaFlash with venet instead of veth

Y

yitzhakbg

The PBXinaFlash container runs out of the box with veth.
From reading the networking Wiki, I understand that venet in Proxmox is preferable to veth both in performance and in security, how can I get pbxinaflash to work with venet?

you should be able to just build the openvz machine from the proxmox template and select venet and enter your public IP.

Are you running a firewall.
Are you installing from an iso or the proxmox template.
Have you considered using the 64 bit template.

col

Thanks very much. Actually, I now realize all I had to do was give it an IP address. The reason it didn't work when I tried before was because I didn't "service network start". I thought the network would work right out of the box.
I am running the 64 bit version. There's a problem in that the FreePBX modules won't update because it requires a more recent kernel and updating the kernel is tricky. Any advice?
Thanks again very muchly

I'm a little confused i have never had to do service network start as far as i can remember, but that aside i'm using pbxiaf version 1.4.0-3 and i have had a few niggles over that last few months (swift - yellow warnings -G729 - Timezone) but all have been resolved i was not aware that this image had any issues of that kind can you confirm which template you have used pbxiaf version 1.4.0-3 or pbxinaflash 1.5.0-6.

col

Using 1.4.03 which I understood as being the most recent 64 bit template. Isn't that correct?
IINM, 1.5.06 is the 32 bit template, isn't it?
I definitely had to "service network start" to fire up the network, but once, I did, it works fine (venet).
I'm still in the midst of the installation, trying to get around the GV limitation, since I'm outside the U.S. I have a Gizmo5 acc't from 'way back and saw some documentation. I find myself having to read reams of blogs to work it out. Help would be warmly appreciated. Really, I'm bogged down.

Oh, BTW, on another issue: Prior to installing the template, I wanted to format the Proxmox partition as ext4. At first, I saw a recent Proxmox kernel, but discovered the hard way that it only supports KVM templates, not OpenVZ. anyone have news on ext4 for Proxmox supporting openVZ templates?

yes you are correct on both counts there i just wanted to make sure that you had not installed iso to kvm.

There's a problem in that the FreePBX modules won't update because it requires a more recent kernel
Hmm mine updated ok for months !!
could you post where you saw this i would like to take a look

As for google voice i would recommend acevpn you need to pay for it,
register with GV then get a U.S ipkall number , you will need to tell GV to send calls there, and of course ipkall sends calls to the pbx
I have this already setup on my box, google "ipkall googlevoice" if you get stuck i will post my config files for you.

I too HAVE/HAD a gizmo5 account in was never much use as their servers were to far from the uk, anyways they will not renew my account as google as brought them out.
There are other soloutions available but at a cost have a look at digium for that.

hope this answers some questions.

proxmox 2.6.24 or 2.6.18 support openvz
2.6.32 don't maybe someone from the proxmox team could give you some help with the ext4 problem

col

Gee, thanks a bunch. Wonder if I could impose on you just a bit to give me a little more detail on how to go about signing up for GV and implementing the PBX with AceVPN?

Sure

you can sign up for googlevoice here

you can get a acevpn account here

This worked for me some months ago

When you receive the email from google it's time to go to the link they sent with your U.S vpn switched on and complete sign up.
By this time of course you will already have signed up for a ipkall us inbound (http://phone.ipkall.com/)
number and can give that to google as your home number then there some setting up to do on the pbx side.
If you get to this point for now 2morrow i will post my config's for you on my blog.

Is AceVPN preferable to Hamachi (which I saw in a Nerd Vittles post) in your opinion? If so, why?
I'd like to understand this more fully. Is it suggested that my remote extensions be over secure VPN? More secure? Is there a performance advantage as well?

Once you have used the Acevpn you can then throw it away we will only use this to pretend you are in the U.S ;-) so you can gain a GV account.
They have a nice little app for windows to make life simple you may need a vpn https proxy to sign up this is why i suggest ace as they had this when i used it, i don't think the free acevpn version works with GV.

Hamachi can be used for connecting by vpn to your pbx from a remote location or if you were a clever Proxmox-er you would see that you can LATER run your own openvpn server in a container and not pay anyone for their service but for now you need to use someone who can give you a U.S IP address this is where ACE comes in.

I make NO promises ace will work although it did for me, you could use any vpn provider as long as they are in the us and give a US IP to google on signup ( the signup page is https)

Hope this helps

Col

Honestly Col, this has been very valuable. Late now and getting fuzzy, but I'm going to try to plug all the pieces in tomorrow

Glad to help

If you get all that done post back here and i send you my configs for the pbx that should make life a little easier.

Col

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!