Proxmox and UPS: will guests shutdown cleanly?

twocell

May 12, 2010
When I attach a UPS to my Proxmox server are there any special considerations to setting it up. I'm thinking that when the UPS signals the server to shutdown, should I also be sending a signal to each guest OS to shutdown cleanly?

If the normal "Shutdown"-function in Proxmox webgui works - then it should also shutdown cleanly if the UPS triggers a shutdown of the host. Basically the guest OS need to have ACPI enabled/installed.

Just ran across a small detail with W2K3 and W2K8 - you need to enable "Allow system to be shut down without having to log on".
It can be found in the policy editor here: "Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on", by running: gpedit.msc.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!