Converting venet to veth

carlosmp

Renowned Member
Jun 2, 2010
I'm sort of stuck with a few of our containers. I've got a bridge vmbr0 setup on eth0, and have one container using it without any problems. I'm trying to convert a few of our containers to veth, so we can get some licensing that requires an eth0 interface. However, I'm sort of getting some error messages, that seem to correspond to anything. I've searched through the forum, and openvz wiki, and found a bit of help, but nothing seems to be working on a few of these.

I've tried to remove the IP address from teh GUI from the venet, and that then gives me the option of selecting vmbr0. It generates the MAC address, hit save, removes the venet, and seems to leave it with vmbr0. Reload the network page, and I get venet without an IP, and eth0 set to disabled. Seems the changes aren't being written to the /etc/vz/conf/xxx.conf file. I can see the venet IP disappear, but the veth adapter info is never written.

I've tried from the command line using:
vzctl set 112 --ipdel all --save
vzctl set 112 --netif_add eth0,,,,vmbr0 --save
but get an error message stating

Code:
Configure veth devices: veth112.0 
According to /etc/vz/conf/112.conf, CT112 has no veth interface configured.
/usr/sbin/vznetcfg exited with error
Saved parameters for CT 112

I was following this:

http://wiki.openvz.org/VEs_and_HNs_in_same_subnets

and it says to ignore the warnings about no veth, but nothing is happening in the conf file.

Here's what I'm running in case it helps:

Code:
pve-manager: 1.5-10 (pve-manager/1.5/4822)
running kernel: 2.6.24-8-pve
pve-kernel-2.6.24-8-pve: 2.6.24-16
qemu-server: 1.1-16
pve-firmware: 1.0-5
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-13
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve11
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos.

Ok, I'm an idiot...forgot to turn the container(s) off... :(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!