New KVM 0.12.5 and vzctl, vzdump, dab, ... pvetest repository!

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
Hi all,

We just released some new packages to the pvetest repository (deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian lenny pvetest), everybody is invited to test and give feedback.

New KVM 0.12.5 for 2.6.24 and 2.6.32:

• update to qemu-kvm-0.12.5 (lot of bugfixes)
  • new ksm-control-daemon (1.0-4) (only for 2.6.32)
    * set KSM_SLEEP_MSEC=100 to reduce cpu load
New 2.6.24 Kernel:

• update to latest 2.6.24
  • update e1000e to e1000e-1.2.8.tar.gz
  • update igb to igb-2.2.9.tar.gz
New vzctl 3.0.24-1pve2 for 2.6.18 and 2.6.24:

• correctly call ldconfig in postinst/postrm
  • use quilt to manage patches
  • upgrade to latest version from git
  • add lintian overrides
  • remove OpenVZ specific settings from /etc/sysctl.conf and move them to /etc/sysctl.d/vzctl
  • sysctl: set "net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1" - seems to be needed by newer kernels
New vzdump 1.2.7:

• use ionice to set io priority. By default, we now set "ionice -c2 -n7" to limit io (instead of using a default bwlimit)
  • vzrestore: new --force option to overwrite existing data
New dab:

• bug fix: only print a warning for packages installed directly with 'dpkg' (when there is no information in 'available' list)
  • only mount /proc/ if not already mounted (avoid problems with vzctl 3.0.24)
Many thanks for testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
use ionice to set io priority. By default, we now set "ionice -c2 -n7" to limit io (instead of using a default bwlimit)

Isn't this going to work only for backup volumes that are using block devices? Also the limit will be imposed on backup volume not the volume that is backed up.
If someone will backup disk image stored on nfs and the backup storage will be also be on nfs then there aren't going to be any limits for the backup process, am I correct?

Isn't this going to work only for backup volumes that are using block devices? Also the limit will be imposed on backup volume not the volume that is backed up.
If someone will backup disk image stored on nfs and the backup storage will be also be on nfs then there aren't going to be any limits for the backup process, am I correct?

ionice prio is applied to the 'process' - but yes, I guess you are right that this only works for block devices.

Anyways, I just removed the default bwlimit because many users complain about long backup times.
But you are still able to set the bwlimit as usual.

While it's offtopic, I have to add: vzdump backup was slowing my system to a halt, regardless of bwlimit.
Since then I changed to scheduler to "deadline", and backup is a happy background task now, without killing the entire server - and staying compatible with file-based OpenVZ VE's.

I'm curious as how the new vzdump will work in that respect.

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

i have done a upgrade on our testserver. After the upgrade, i have checked the version with pveversion but there isn´t the latest qemu-server 1.1-17.

How can i install it? I have download the package and tried it with the dpkg command without success.

Code:
pve-manager: 1.5-10 (pve-manager/1.5/4822)
running kernel: 2.6.24-12-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.24: 1.5-24
pve-kernel-2.6.24-12-pve: 2.6.24-24
qemu-server: 1.1-16
pve-firmware: 1.0-5
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-13
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve2
vzdump: 1.2-7
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-1

Regards, valle

Yes, i have upgraded with that commands.
A manuel install with dpkg -i didnt work too.
Sorry for short answer but i am in a mobile device at a this time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!