Virtualize NAS solution

Marcel

May 24, 2009
Netherlands
Hi,

UnRAID is a media storage solution. You can build a large NAS (21 drives). It is a sort of RAID 4 solution , but without striping. What unraid also does it spin down drives. When i virtualize this solution is this wise to do? Can i attach pysical drives directly to the VM? Allows Proxmox unRAID to spin down drives?

UnRAID is a media storage solution. You can build a large NAS (21 drives). It is a sort of RAID 4 solution , but without striping. What unraid also does it spin down drives. When i virtualize this solution is this wise to do?

Virtualization always adds an overhead to IO. So it is not the best thing if you need IO performance (which is likely).

Can i attach pysical drives directly to the VM?

yes (manually edit the config file - see 'man qm')

Allows Proxmox unRAID to spin down drives?

not sure about that - but should be easy to test.

Thanks Dietmar,

Virtualization always adds an overhead to IO. So it is not the best thing if you need IO performance (which is likely).

It is for a home solution. I'm now running two machines ClearOS and unRAID. I just investigate of it is wise to virtualize this two machines. I also do lot of experimenting where virtualization becomes handy.

FYI
I virtualize a NFS server with 6 x 2Tb SATA drives connected directly to the KVM with virtio drivers configured as a Raid 5 md device.
Putting the NFS server in the PVE box directly I get around 110 Mbytes/s in a 1Gb LAN, with the virtualized NFS server I get between 70 and 80 Mbytes/s, that it's good for a home server.
Only my 2 cents....
Waiting for volker to release his OpenMediaVault to test it in KVM.

But OpenMediavault directly builtin into Proxmox instead of vm would have some interesting purpose

FYI
I virtualize a NFS server with 6 x 2Tb SATA drives connected directly to the KVM with virtio drivers configured as a Raid 5 md device.
Putting the NFS server in the PVE box directly I get around 110 Mbytes/s in a 1Gb LAN, with the virtualized NFS server I get between 70 and 80 Mbytes/s, that it's good for a home server.
Only my 2 cents....
Waiting for volker to release his OpenMediaVault to test it in KVM.

this are nice numbers for a virtualized home nas server :)
i think i have to do this weekend !!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!