Increase Windows XP Pro Remote Desktop rdp Connection color depth from 16 to 24 bit

JustaGuy

Renowned Member
Jan 1, 2010
I've been settling for 16-bit color depth for awhile and whenever I would look up instructions on how to increase it, there would be a reference to a group policy setting that didn't exist in mine.

These instructions would say to run gpedit.msc and navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Terminal Services and change the Limit Color Depth setting to allow for over 16-bits.

I found a fix for it, and just wanted to post it in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

This thanks to a post on a Sun blog located here:
http://blogs.sun.com/ThinkThin/entry/24_bit_rdp_under_windows

In summary you change a registry key located here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp
It's the ColorDepth key whose default value is 3, and you just change it to 4 to enable 24-bit color.

You still have to set the appropriate connection options in your client, but now at least when you tell it to use 24-bit it can.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!