MySQL on Proxmox Host

pkhooper

Aug 3, 2010
Hello,

I am thinking about the best way to implement a number of OpenVZ VMs on Proxmox and also have the fastest access to MySQL on these hosts, but use a single hardware platform.

I see two options:
1. Install MySQL into each VM
2. Install MySQL onto the Proxmox host server and share this MySQL server from the VMs.

On the MySQL server I would put the databases on a separate partition to have separate rw queue.

Are there any issues in hosting the MySQL database on the Proxmox host?

Regards,
Patrick.

a third options, run the mysql in an extra container so you can still manage it easily as its virtualized.

mysql on the host should be no problem as we do not use mysql, but it assume you got similar performance if you run it inside on a container.

basically, its a good idea to NOT install extra packages on the host unless there is a good reason for this.

I have to concur with Tom here, running MySQL inside it's own container has a lot of benefits:

- you can upgrade and manage the DB server while being sure you are not affecting anything else
- you can move (migrate) it to any other physical host
- you can backup it easily with PVE
- you can run 2 or more of them, in a master-slave replication scenario for example, so you have "live" backup SQL servers

We are running a 2 server PVE cluster with 2 MySQL OpenVZ VE's (one on each), one is the "old" one based on Ubuntu 8.04 and MySQL 5.0, the other is the "new" based on Ubuntu 10 and MySQL 5.1. Clients have time to migrate to and test their databases on the new server, while service runs uninterrupted since both servers are live. Virtualizing database servers makes management a lot easier, and performance is very good (comparable to bare metal).

Now if only we could add dedicated LVM storage to OpenVZ VE's, this would make life SO MUCH easier, and would give I/O performance a considerable boost.
Any news on when will we get this feature?

Last edited:
Tom and gkovacs,

Thank you both for your feedback.

I agree that the 3rd option as a dedicated VM is the best way to go and I am in the process of building that now.

Later down the track, I will put the MySQL VM onto a separate disk or an iSCSI server to increase I/O performance on the database servers.

I agree also it would be good to have a way to have a LVM storage per VM.

Regards,
Patrick.

Now if only we could add dedicated LVM storage to OpenVZ VE's, this would make life SO MUCH easier, and would give I/O performance a considerable boost.
Any news on when will we get this feature?

AFAIR, the OpenVZ team (kir) replied that they have no interest in that feature (because there customers don't need it). So please request that feature on the OpenVZ forum.

AFAIR, the OpenVZ team (kir) replied that they have no interest in that feature (because there customers don't need it). So please request that feature on the OpenVZ forum.

Can you please elaborate on that: why is it the job of the OpenVZ team to add LVM/iSCSI/NFS or even Directory support, as it's currently there for KVM?
Isn't this an integration job that Proxmox did for KVM and could technically do for OpenVZ as well?

TBH I would be VERY pleased with only a limited LVM/mount support for OpenVZ in Proxmox VE, for example mounting an SSD for the 1-2 MySQL VE's I'm running, while keeping the other VE's on regular SATA RAID. (no NFS, iSCSI or anything fancy needed here.)

Also, can you point me to this particular thread on the OpenVZ forums? Can't seem to find it, thanks.

Last edited:
Can you please elaborate on that: why is it the job of the OpenVZ team to add LVM/iSCSI/NFS or even Directory support, as it's currently there for KVM?
Isn't this an integration job that Proxmox did for KVM and could technically do for OpenVZ as well?

We have no more interest to make/maintain patches that gets never integrated into OpenVZ (as our init-logger patch).

Also, can you point me to this particular thread on the OpenVZ forums? Can't seem to find it, thanks.

That was private mail.

FYI: we wrote the init-logger patch about 2 years ago. For some unknown reason, it is still not included.

The latest attempt was:

http://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1448

as you can see, nobody at OpenVZ is interested in that.

It is quite impossible to work that way, because you never get any feedback:

- what is wrong with that patch?
- what do we need to improve?
- is there a better way to do it?
- any other reason that prevents inclusion?

In short, we want some feedback about the init-logger patch before we start anything new.

- Dietmar

Reactions: felislinux
Hi

Sorry to wake up an old thread but I have some trouble with the init-logger patch. The patch does not work if the /usr path of the container is shared with bind mounts among multiple containers. In this case vzctl start VEID fail to copy the file init-logger and print an error about insufficient ressources for the vm. The work around is to kill any running init-logger processes in other containers.

This bug has forced me to deactivate this feature in /etc/vz/vz.conf.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!