Measuring performance of virtual disks under Windows 2003

twocell

May 12, 2010
I've been getting some strange results when I run benchmarks on one of my Windows 2003 virtual machines. I'm seeing throughput of 350 MB/s on a virtual disk. Only about 260 MB/s faster than the real (host) disk speed.

I've used hdparm -t under Cygwin and HD Tune Pro, and I'm getting similar results. The only thing I can think of is some kind of caching, but the random access scores are sky high too.

Any ideas?

This is almost certainly caching.

Can you post the /etc/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf for the VM and also the results of pveperf /var/lib/vz.

For a bog standard test I generally create a 5GB file and then time how long it takes to copy....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!