Proxmox running under a Ubuntu installation

S

SirLouen

Since Proxmox works under a debian lenny I was wondering if its possible to make proxmox work under an ubuntu lucid lynx server edition

I installed the proxmox system with the CD directly so I don't know exactly if there exists repositories and an aptitude installation, like Xen.

I choose ubuntu for multiple reasons, but most important by far, that obtains the whole information from the hardware and autoconfigures itself the best way saving me, billions of amount of time (im not good at configuring hardware devices over linux systems, and messing around the kernel).

I choose ubuntu for multiple reasons, but most important by far, that obtains the whole information from the hardware and autoconfigures itself the best way saving me, billions of amount of time (im not good at configuring hardware devices over linux systems, and messing around the kernel).

What are You taking about? Did Canonical started to print some nice marketing charts and You happened to read one? Ubuntu is basically a mix of debian packages from testing and unstable, it doesn't do anything more than any other linux distribution, and does not "autoconfigures itself" more that any other linux distribution. I guess that You are really complaining about is the fact that due to licensing issues debian does not include some drivers that ubuntu (and other distributions) does, proxmox is based on debian but it provides some drives which are missing from standard debian installation cd.

Sure. But this is all about my experience. I did installed fresh new Debian Lenny and fresh new Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on the same machine with a brand new computer, and differences where awesome.

I'm sure that I could get in some minutes/hours/weeks/years the same config with Debian that Ubuntu gave me straight away after install. But, time is money.

Most of my servers are running now either CentOS or Ubuntu Server. If I have to stick to Debian, I will, but If there is a minimal possibility to switch to ubuntu server I would like to know if its ok.

I saw that the debian lenny repos have proxmox deb packages, maybe there is the path.

no, not possible.

Sure. But this is all about my experience. I did installed fresh new Debian Lenny and fresh new Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on the same machine with a brand new computer, and differences where awesome.

I'm sure that I could get in some minutes/hours/weeks/years the same config with Debian that Ubuntu gave me straight away after install. But, time is money.

What was faster on ubuntu and how much?
What ubuntu "autoconfigured" that debian did not?

First as simple as all the disks in my computer, specially the USB ones. Debian throws an error at the begining regarding to a "Restricted Access". After wandering around google I saw that there is a restriction in a config file for "security purposes"

Secondly the Resolution and the vga driver... in a server sometimes this is not big deal, but since I'm using proxmox as development workstation

Thridly, The sound. My motherboard is brand new with usb3 sata3, and latest integrated audio chipset. Ubuntu gets it with no deal. With Debian I have to join the OSS/ALSA odyssey

And finally I have an LG usb external dvd rw... and debian doesnt recognizes it, i've googled and nothing. Probably after some hours I will make it work. Ubuntu gets it at first with 0 difficulties.

Yes, I'm not a super-linux expert yet, and Ubuntu won't help on my improvement. But nowadays I need the time that I should expend on linux for other tasks unfortunately :(

Anyway, as Its impossible to make proxmox work under ubuntu, I will just stick to Debian as good as I can.

What was faster on ubuntu and how much?
What ubuntu "autoconfigured" that debian did not?
Why do you respond so hostile to SirLouen's posts?
Don't you like the idea that multiple linux distributions can run Proxmox?
Why is Debian preferable over Ubuntu?
Why are you trying to answer a question you don't know the answer to?
What were you expecting to get from this conversation?

I have the same experience as SirLouen.
I would love it if I could get the virtualization experience from Proxmox in a Ubuntu-based cluster. Partly because I don't like to get support from aggresive forum commentators who fortunately are quite rare here on forum.proxmox.com, and partly because Ubuntu (to me) was much easier to, for instance, configure with PHP talking directly with MSSQL servers (supporting stored procedures with parameters and the lot) than under Debian.

If you want Ubuntu, just take it. Proxmox is a custom Debian based Distribution (like Ubuntu).

Proxmox VE is not just a GUI, its a distribution and therefore you cannot install a distribution on a distribution, hope this is clearer now.

If you want Ubuntu, just take it. Proxmox is a custom Debian based Distribution (like Ubuntu).
Proxmox VE is not just a GUI, its a distribution and therefore you cannot install a distribution on a distribution, hope this is clearer now.
Sorry for not making myself clear. I am aware that Proxmox is a distribution of it's own. I like to think of Proxmox as a minimalistic, virtualization optimized, Debian-based distro with cluster capabilities - which is exactly what one need to get a topnotch virtualization environment going. Thank you very much for all the work you put into it!

The reason for my post was simply l.mierzwa's aggresive tone against SirLouen - and Ubuntu, which in contrast to a bare-metal virtualization OS, is my application server OS of choice. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Last edited:
I was thinking on Proxmox kind of Xen-like

Xen is also a bare-metal virtualization system, and can run over Ubuntu.

Ubuntu provides a near native virtualization (3% cpu loss only) with Xen. Debian based will overperform just a 1% maximum since the 2% is fixed if just GNU/Linux is underall.

I've tried Xen and I prefer today Proxmox with openvz and kvm instead of doms, and because it gives me the option of near native virtualization + possibility of being a workstation itself just because is a Debian based, also the community around kvm and openvz is greater and stronger now.

But the possibility is, if maybe there could be a branch based on Ubuntu?

I read this in the wiki that it is possible to add a repository
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian lenny pve to switch Debian to Proxmox.

And I was wondering if this could be kind of

"deb http://download.proxmox.com/ubuntu lucid pve"
In a future :)

Just that :D

Well, i started with a Lenny on which i installed pve packages, for testing, learning. But on my production servers, it's the real pve.

I think that, if you're not particularly concerned about performance, you could also run a virtual pve inside a ubuntu hypervisor (kvm, xen, vmware, ...), although there will be a double overhead, but in that way you'll have the ubuntu desktop, and through the pve web gui, and/or ssh, you could manage your kvm/openvz machines...

E.g., pve inside pve is a suggested method to create openvz appliances, too: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debian_Appliance_Builder#System_requirements

Marco

Just an additional note: Ubuntu does not support OpenVZ anymore (skipped in Lucid)

First as simple as all the disks in my computer, specially the USB ones. Debian throws an error at the begining regarding to a "Restricted
I'm using proxmox as development workstation

please define.. if you need virtualization for testing purpose and a workstation, I suggest you to install vmware/virtualbox/anything you prefer on a full ubuntu desktop..

you are using a screwdriver to make an hole

First as simple as all the disks in my computer, specially the USB ones. Debian throws an error at the begining regarding to a "Restricted Access". After wandering around google I saw that there is a restriction in a config file for "security purposes"

Secondly the Resolution and the vga driver... in a server sometimes this is not big deal, but since I'm using proxmox as development workstation

Thridly, The sound. My motherboard is brand new with usb3 sata3, and latest integrated audio chipset. Ubuntu gets it with no deal. With Debian I have to join the OSS/ALSA odyssey

And finally I have an LG usb external dvd rw... and debian doesnt recognizes it, i've googled and nothing. Probably after some hours I will make it work. Ubuntu gets it at first with 0 difficulties.

Yes, I'm not a super-linux expert yet, and Ubuntu won't help on my improvement. But nowadays I need the time that I should expend on linux for other tasks unfortunately :(

Anyway, as Its impossible to make proxmox work under ubuntu, I will just stick to Debian as good as I can.

And this is that "autoconfiguration" You are talking about? This is security and release philosophy. You said:
I choose ubuntu for multiple reasons, but most important by far, that obtains the whole information from the hardware and autoconfigures itself the best way
How is are Your arguments related to this? I'm still saying that Your are talking nonsenses.

Ubuntu provides a near native virtualization (3% cpu loss only) with Xen. Debian based will overperform just a 1% maximum since the 2% is fixed if just GNU/Linux is underall.

Where are You getting this numbers from? I would say that overhead is very dependent on workload, raw cpu power does not get a very big hit, but I/O intensive applications will notice quite a big slowdown.

Configuring all that nearly 99% of the times by unexperienced users lead to misconfigurations and a big lack of security.

For example, today I've been fighting with a very big issue related with mdadm and hald.... all because lenny is super outdated. I remember in the past years what potato used to offer.

Ubuntu gives out big support realeases with a pretty well balanced level of updates for their packages.

I'm seriously thinking about a branch based on ubuntu server. I would need to meassure possibilities, since proxmox brought awesome features specially to the kvm world.

Configuring all that nearly 99% of the times by unexperienced users lead to misconfigurations and a big lack of security.

For example, today I've been fighting with a very big issue related with mdadm and hald.... all because lenny is super outdated. I remember in the past years what potato used to offer.

Ubuntu gives out big support realeases with a pretty well balanced level of updates for their packages.

I'm seriously thinking about a branch based on ubuntu server. I would need to meassure possibilities, since proxmox brought awesome features specially to the kvm world.

Please don't jump subjects every time You answer my questions, You said:
I choose ubuntu for multiple reasons, but most important by far, that obtains the whole information from the hardware and autoconfigures itself the best way
and I'm arguing with that.

Please don't jump subjects every time You answer my questions, You said:
and I'm arguing with that.

Don't you like the idea that multiple linux distributions can run Proxmox?
Did I said anything about my likes or dislikes of running proxmox on other distributions?

Why is Debian preferable over Ubuntu?
Where did You found my saying that Debian is preferable over Ubuntu?

Why are you trying to answer a question you don't know the answer to?
What question am I trying to answer and how do You know that I don't know the answer?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!