How to pause a vm

rootkid

Jul 2, 2010
Hi!

After being tricked by HP (thought the DL360 G4 Server could handle Intel VT) i finally got a G5 server that seems to run really fine. I was able to install proxmox completly remote via iLO and brought up my first VMs.

Now i'm searching for an option to pause VMs (KVM, Centos5.5) via the webinterface. I tried "stop", but after starting again the system is booting.
Is there a way to just freeze the VM?

Best regards,
Heiner

go to "Virtual machine configuration/Monitor", and try "savevm" and "loadvm".

Code:
qm> savevm                                                                                   
Device ide0-hd1 does not support VM state snapshots

seems it's trying to create a snapshot... I assume that's required to pause a vm? Disk is saved in raw format

try with qcow2 disk.

Thanks for the hint!

i converted the disk and my vm comes up. But "savevm" still doesn't work:
Code:
qm> savevm                                                                                   
ERROR: monitor read timeout

Why that?

The current code does not really support snapshots. But if you only want to freeze the VM, simply type 'stop' on the monitor comnand line - 'c' to continue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!