Does MONO RUN with PROXMOX

Don Kidder

Mar 25, 2010
Does Mono run with PROXMOX? If I install Ubuntu 10.4 LTS it should have Mono in it and I wondered if it will work.

I thought it would. I understand you worked on Mono. Great job with Proxmox, I haven't had any issues that had no answer. I will install the OpenVZ template for Ubuntu 10.4 (it is suposed to have Mono) and go from there. Have a great day.

I thought it would. I understand you worked on Mono.

Yes, I wrote the first just in time compiler for mono - together with Paolo and Miguel. But that was about 7 years ago.

Great job with Proxmox, I haven't had any issues that had no answer. I will install the OpenVZ template for Ubuntu 10.4 (it is suposed to have Mono) and go from there. Have a great day.

Well, I am 100% sure it will run inside a KVM VM. Please can you report your results with OpenVZ and Mono?

Yes Mono does run and in a container. My notes as follows to install Ubuntu 10.04 LAMP stack. Ubuntu 10.04 has current Mono. The link also has a plain Ubuntu 10.04 if you want. Read all the comments and particulary the ones that say Ubuntu 10.04 config files have a few problems yet and Ubuntu 10.04 may not be ready yet for production. I did find some instructions for adding Mono to Debian Lenny but I have not tried them yet.

Dietmar, I think the guy who made the templates would be willing to donate them to the Proxmox set. Summary notes as follows:

Install Ubuntu 10.04 lamp template:

The easiest install for linux is on Ubuintu 10.04
Follow this link for a template #http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/download-ubuntu-10-04-openvz-templates/

You need to log onto the proxmox cluster controler CC, and do the download
Follow these instructions #http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/1591-OpenVZ-templates but use the blog site above for the source of Ubuntu 10.04 LAMP
CD /var/lib/vz/templkate/cache
wget http://bodhizazen.fivebean.net/openvz/ubuntu-10.04-lamp_10.04_i386.tar.gz

DO NOT UNPACK

Couple of notes, you will need to add WGET after the template is created and you add a VE. Use console then apt-get install wget
Also remember to change your MYSQl PASSWORD for security Default root password is blank)

mysqladmin -u root password yourpassword here

Mono runs normally in console mode but this can time out with no activity. I found multiple ways of starting the Mono job as a service, but the following seems to work (applogize to the author I can not find his link) and is the shortest for code:

To start your Mono app, make sure you are in the app's bin directory by adding the following to /etc/rc.local

cd /etc/apt/yourapp/yourapp/bin
mono yourapp.exe > /var/log/yourapp.log 2>&1 &

After you restart the VE your app should be running until stopped or a fatal error occurs. The log is very useful and the Mono site has logging option details.

Thanks so much, and hope this helps others trying Mono.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!