KVM Ubuntu Lucid (latest) doesn't respond to qm shutdown requests

yatesco

Sep 25, 2009
Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem - I have lots (>40) KVM machines with Ubuntu Lucid installed on my cluster. I am also a bit of a muppet system admin so I have to far too frequently reboot the hardware.

The problem is that the KVM guests with Ubuntu installed don't do anything when a shutdown request is issued. My Windows VMs shutdown fine - just, rather annoyingly and somewhat ironically (Windows behaving better than Linux!) not the KVM Ubuntu machines.

Does anybody know what is wrong? Is there a magic hook I need to enable in Ubuntu? These are all Ubuntu server editions by the way.

(The latest reason I had to reboot the hardware was because all three hosts were backing up the VMs to the SAN and the VMs live on the SAN. Network got swamped and lots of kernel exceptions in the VM log.)

You, my man, are a star! (even if you have a very specific definition of 'obvious' :)

kvm, virtualbox, vmware and any other virtualization software sends "shutdown requests" using standard ACPI method, it works exactly as it works with normal hardware, You need acpid to catch such signal and power down machine. There is nothing virtualization specyfic about that in proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!